Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pattern Advice needed. >

Pattern Advice needed.

Pattern Advice needed.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:10 AM

Thanks! Fidget quilt was the name I was looking for. Thanks also for the dimensions to shoot for.

I do like the idea of wheelchair sized and will recommend that to them as it is a manageable size for all of us. I also like the suggestion of combining fabric textures. I have plenty of novelty fabrics that Gus and friends can raid - that are representative of his hobbies and interests.

I had also thought about signatures and messages being incorporated and will suggest that to Gus as well.

Positive news from earlier this morning is that he is now breathing on his own! A big first step on the long road ahead.

K
Old 11-19-2014, 09:22 AM

I agree with all the suggestions to wait on the fidget quilt until you know the extend of his injuries. I was merely passing on the name and description in case it's needed later on. Hopefully not....
Old 11-20-2014, 08:05 AM

Finally, something I know something about!

I was in a car accident 6 1/2 years ago, coma for 10 days, rehab for a couple of months, and looking back, something that really helped me was anything that made my brain think of what I used to do.

Photos on frames, of course of family, but also of things you would never think of putting in a photo.
My sewing machine, my basenjis(dogs), my house and various rooms. Also big words on the photos explaining what they are. Who the people are, the pet's names, sorts team names, etc. Any way to help his brain assciated the word to what is in the photo.

I think a quilt with fabric prints reminding this young man of his life, plus signatures of family, would be welcome.
He's going to get rehab treatment to relearn to open zippers, button, and eating, but what he's going to need is constant reminders, photos, of his life before the accident. DO NOT cut up his own aricles of clothing, just bring them in to be remembered (I don't know if I could have handled my things being cut up)

Bring in his favorie tshirts, not cut up, just so he can be reminded of what he liked

I have learned since that every brain injury is different, these are the things that helped ME, his experience might be different.

One thing, has nothing to do with quilting:

My husband told me that I fell out of the bed once, so at night they'd zip what I call a 'cage' around the bed. I don't remember if they told me why, maybe they did and I don't remember, but I HATED that thing (though I completely understand why they used it)

It remimded my so much of one particular dog I have that can not tolerate the crate for more than 10 minutes.
Thinking if her, and this 'cage' thing, was the man reason I checked myself out of the rehab. My husband had to sign some papers of course, but I was finally free of that cage! I do not understand the details, but he got 8 wks off from work, with pay, to stay home with me. That, plus being in familiar surroundings, was better than any ol' rehab with a cage!

My suggestion is when talking to him, do not be afraid of repeating yourself, especially say things that you might have said a day before. Like I said, I never remember them telling me about the cage, and why they used it, and I think knowing the WHY would have allowed me to be more accepting of it.

Talk simply, but also talk as you normally would. The brain can catch on to more complicated conversation, but something said simply is needed for understanding.

This post probably seems a bit mixed up, I have a bit of trouble organizing my thoughts. I hope my message is getting through.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:10 AM

Me again
Have the troop make a poster showing photos of thier activities that this young man was involved in. Put the names of the poeple by the photo and maybe squares of fabric attached, including his scout awards.

I don't remember not being able to read, ever, but it's possible he won't be able to read them, and someone will have to read them to him. But, it could be used as a way to relearning how to read.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I think it is to early to think about a therapy quilt as it might offend if it isn't needed. I think I would look for neat fabrics like pizza, motorcycles, scout badges etc. and cut simple squares to do a hospital bed size quilt. The boys that age can sew the squares together (you can quilt it)and if you put a light backing on it, they can write messages of encouragement or get well wishes with Pigma pens from themselves or the whole troop all over the back.
I also agree with Tartan's answer. I think this one would be the most appreciated - by the injured young man as well as his family. I'll add him to my prayer list. On that note - they can include a favorite Scripture on the back as well.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:15 AM

Why not take some muslin squares and let each scout write something.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:58 AM

I'm with the Boys on this one. Smaller won't keep him warm, but that isn't the purpose of this particular project. If I understand, it is to be on the order of a fiddle quilt. A larger, pillow size (36 X 36) might be in order. And manageable for the boys. Remember this is something they want to do, you must take into consideration their wishes. Not how you want them to do it.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Also ditto Tartan's comment!
Great idea! It would let him know that the boys he helped are now helping him.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:17 AM

It's a bit early to know whether or not a fidget type quilt would be appropriate. I would suggest having each of the young men create a block with fabric markers on solid white fabric backed with freezer paper. If they don't want to draw, perhaps they could print pictures onto the fabric. A quilt referring to fun times and his life might help with his memory by providing references and discussion points.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
Why smaller? The guy won't be in a wheelchain any time soon.
Most times, hospitals require the quilts to be rather narrow because heath care providers need easy access to the side rails, port sites, and catheters without a lot of digging and wading through a puddle of blankets. Every time I visit someone in a hospital, they're always covered by twin-sized blankets folded in half lengthwise.