Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Permanent marker/pen suggestions?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6
    Some friends and I are contemplating making a friendship quilt. Does anyone have any suggestions for what type of marker/pen to use for the handwritten messages? Is a Sharpie adequate? I have a prayer quilt that was made when my son was born. I don't know what was used to write on it but it faded badly after just one wash.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Super Member babyfireo4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Peru, Indiana
    Posts
    1,567
    Blog Entries
    2
    I like to use Sakura brand pigma pen for fabric but, about any pen made for fabric should work.

  3. #3
    Super Member Carron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    desert area of California
    Posts
    2,271
    What babyfire04 wrote, any fabric pen will do the job. You can even get different colors, now doesn't that sound like fun!

  4. #4
    Senior Member AndiR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    S. Dakota
    Posts
    493
    Sharpies tend to bleed. Micron Pigma or Fabrico is what I usually use.

  5. #5
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,771
    You can also use ZigWriters. They're archival, acid free and don't bleed. They're cheaper than Pigma Pens and you'll find them in the scrap book department. The ZigWriters also come in a good variety of colors and tip types.

  6. #6
    Super Member Vanuatu Jill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ramona, California
    Posts
    3,057
    Blog Entries
    1
    Always use Micron Pigma-never had a problem. It is what I use on my quilt labels, too.

  7. #7
    Super Member BeeNana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    behind the sewing needle
    Posts
    4,218
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by babyfireo4
    I like to use Sakura brand pigma pen for fabric but, about any pen made for fabric should work.
    This is the same brand as the Micron Pigma.
    Ironing freezer paper to the back stabilizes the fabric when writing. Also press with an iron will set the ink.
    I have read man review and these pens get the highest recommendation by quilters.

  8. #8
    Super Member luckylindy333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Snohomish, Washington
    Posts
    2,045
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    You can also use ZigWriters. They're archival, acid free and don't bleed. They're cheaper than Pigma Pens and you'll find them in the scrap book department. The ZigWriters also come in a good variety of colors and tip types.
    I did not know that you could use Zig- I have lots of those that I bought for paper! Thanks!

  9. #9
    Junior Member Jazzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Denver area
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by luckylindy333
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    You can also use ZigWriters. They're archival, acid free and don't bleed. They're cheaper than Pigma Pens and you'll find them in the scrap book department. The ZigWriters also come in a good variety of colors and tip types.
    I did not know that you could use Zig- I have lots of those that I bought for paper! Thanks!
    That's how I got the idea...when I did both hobbies at the same time. Love the choices of fine or thick and all diff colors.

  10. #10
    Super Member fabric_fancy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    at my sewing machine
    Posts
    1,976
    pigma. sharpie does make markers specifically for fabric they are called stained.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.