Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Permanent marker/pen suggestions?

Some friends and I are contemplating making a friendship quilt. Does anyone have any suggestions for what type of marker/pen to use for the handwritten messages? Is a Sharpie adequate? I have a prayer quilt that was made when my son was born. I don't know what was used to write on it but it faded badly after just one wash.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    I like to use Sakura brand pigma pen for fabric but, about any pen made for fabric should work.

What babyfire04 wrote, any fabric pen will do the job. You can even get different colors, now doesn't that sound like fun!

Sharpies tend to bleed. Micron Pigma or Fabrico is what I usually use.

You can also use ZigWriters. They're archival, acid free and don't bleed. They're cheaper than Pigma Pens and you'll find them in the scrap book department. The ZigWriters also come in a good variety of colors and tip types.

Blog Entries
    Always use Micron Pigma-never had a problem. It is what I use on my quilt labels, too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by babyfireo4
    I like to use Sakura brand pigma pen for fabric but, about any pen made for fabric should work.
    This is the same brand as the Micron Pigma.
    Ironing freezer paper to the back stabilizes the fabric when writing. Also press with an iron will set the ink.
    I have read man review and these pens get the highest recommendation by quilters.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    You can also use ZigWriters. They're archival, acid free and don't bleed. They're cheaper than Pigma Pens and you'll find them in the scrap book department. The ZigWriters also come in a good variety of colors and tip types.
    I did not know that you could use Zig- I have lots of those that I bought for paper! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by luckylindy333
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    I did not know that you could use Zig- I have lots of those that I bought for paper! Thanks!
    That's how I got the idea...when I did both hobbies at the same time. Love the choices of fine or thick and all diff colors.

pigma. sharpie does make markers specifically for fabric they are called stained.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast