removing permanent marker?

Old 07-18-2011, 09:25 AM

Does anyone know how to remove permanent (sharpie) marker from fabric?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-18-2011, 09:27 AM

Cheap hairspray? Did you try to Google "stain removal"?
Old 07-18-2011, 09:32 AM
Cyn

I thought it was permanent but I know first hand it will come off things when washed at a nursing home. I use to be a nursing home administrator :) We used bleach, hot (at least 140 degrees)water and dried everything in a hot dryer. It may have taken a couple times but names did come out of some stuff.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:41 AM

Years ago we bought a couch and had it stain-treated. My toddler son wrote on it with a Sharpie. I called the company that did the stain treatment and they sent me a bottle of stuff - it worked GREAT! The bottle has nothing more than instructions on it, but it smells EXACTLY like Goo Gone with Citrus Power. All the Sharpie marks disappeared without a trace.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:42 AM

Personally, I have had good success using makeup remover...

But, according to GoodHousekeeping:
1. Place the stain face down on clean paper towels.
2. Sponge rubbing alcohol into the area around the stain, and then apply it directly to the stain.
3. Continue sponging the stain with alcohol, frequently changing the paper towels underneath, transferring as much ink as possible to the paper towels.
4. Rinse thoroughly.
5. Launder.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
Years ago we bought a couch and had it stain-treated. My toddler son wrote on it with a Sharpie. I called the company that did the stain treatment and they sent me a bottle of stuff - it worked GREAT! The bottle has nothing more than instructions on it, but it smells EXACTLY like Goo Gone with Citrus Power. All the Sharpie marks disappeared without a trace.
Ok you know what. I remembered that I actually have some of the Citrus Goo Gone, so I grabbed a scrap of cotton and wrote on it with a Sharpie, then sprayed the Goo Gone on it. The colors ran a bit, but didn't disappear. So I washed the scrap and tried Goof Off. That didn't work either. I have no idea what the stuff was in that bottle the stain treatment company sent me. Sorry!
Old 07-18-2011, 10:17 AM

darn :(

I purchased something a a local thrift store. They write the prices on the items with Sharpie (they have had too many people pulling the prices off if they are written on a piece of tape and stuck to the item)....

so sad - very nice purses, clothing, shoes, etc. but the prices are written on them w/ permanent marker.

Ok you know what. I remembered that I actually have some of the Citrus Goo Gone, so I grabbed a scrap of cotton and wrote on it with a Sharpie, then sprayed the Goo Gone on it. The colors ran a bit, but didn't disappear. So I washed the scrap and tried Goof Off. That didn't work either. I have no idea what the stuff was in that bottle the stain treatment company sent me. Sorry!
Old 07-18-2011, 10:24 AM

I had old blk marker on something and I scrubbed with everything and used and scrubed and scrubed baking soda,
and laundry granuals, and tide bleach pen was usless, and little by little i got alot out and covered the area with a lable.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:45 AM

I wonder if like the TIDE stain remover pens would work?
Old 07-18-2011, 11:50 AM

try some GoJo hand cleaner, it got sharpie out of my dd's ROTC uniform