Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Removing Permanent Marker off Dishes

Removing Permanent Marker off Dishes

I want to make a unique wall clock for my kitchen out of a dinner plate, kind of a quick DIY project. I bought a pretty plate at a thrift store and they used a permanent marker to write the price on the face of the plate. I've tried rubbing alcohol and dawn dish soap but a black smudge is still there. Any tips on removing permanent markers off a stone ware plate?
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Hand sanitizer will take permanent marker off of skin. You might try that.

I wonder who thought it was a good idea to use permanent marker on the face of the plate?
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I also wondered if hairspray would take it off. But hand sanitizer seems to work well, so, definitely try that first.
    While we are discussing permanent marker, has anyone found a way to get it off cloth? Specifically, a sock monkey that I made for one of my grand daughters whose younger sister marked up in a revenge fit?

Blog Entries
    Hand sanitizer works on hard, non porous surfaces because it is alcohol based. Rubbing alcohol (3% strengthisopropyl) will work but be gentle and dab instead of rubbing. Also be sure that the plate's surface is smooth and not rough and not porous so that the surface glaze isn't also removed.

I'm not sure about permanent marker and cloth - soak in oxyclean? there should be some suggestions on the internet - Good luck.
    Deb

Try nail polish remover, it may work.

Power Poster
    You might try Vaseline or Goo Gone on the marker and let sit for a bit. Clean off with a paper towel and see if it helped.

I was working on a friends quilt and marking it with a Frixion pen. Well, a Sharpie was on the table and I picked it up by mistake and marked the quilt. I used rubbing alcohol to remove the Sharpie. It took a while but I keep dabbing at it. I didn't tell my friend about it until all the Sharpie was gone!

Thanks for the tips! I'll try them all!
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

The product "Awesome" removes permanent marker ink. It is not caustic or abrasive and will not remove the natural finish on the plate.

Blog Entries
    yes, Awesome products are very good and user friendly plus cheap if bought at Dollar Store.

Coca Cola works for me........but such a waste! LOL

I hope the jealous sister enjoys the "privilege" of spending lots of time learning to remove the offensive marks. That will be 1 lesson which she will long remember, or have replace the item using her own allowance. We usually remember expensive lessons like that.

Did you try a Mr. Clean magic eraser. I've been amazed at what one can remove.
    To many quilts, not enough wine.

Janome Horizon Memory Craft 8900QCP, Special Edition
    Vingtage Dressmaker 7000 Heavy Duty

Blog Entries
    I think WD-40 might do the trick.

I would be leery of Magic Eraser as it is too abrasive and would take finish and or paint off and leave fine scratch marks. .

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Janey & John

I got black marker off a fridge door using Fit vegetable spray. I tried everything but still had a faint black shadow of the scribbling. The Fit spray worked great. I don't even know why I thought to try it. Since the plate is non porous put fresh marker on top of the old and then clean it off. The fresh marker dissolves the dried marker.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________
    I wonder who thought it was a good idea to use permanent marker on the face of the plate?

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

cashs_mom...My thought exactly!

Campho-Phenique will take out permanent marks on lots of things. I think it's the oil in it (like WD-40) that is the key ingredient.

If none of the above ideas works, try writing over the permanent marker with a dry erase marker. Wipe it off after it dries. That will sometimes work.
    I love the smell of Best Press in the morning!

WD-40 removes permanent Sharpie. I wrote on a door thinking I would change the door. Nope, we painted instead. WD-40 removed the heavy black marker without damaging the underlying paint.

I would definitely try this. WD-40 works on non porous surfaces, so if the dish is glazed ceramic or pottery, it should work with no damage. Be careful if there is any type of gold leaf on the plate, though. Don't know if WD-40 will hurt it.

Good luck. Please post a photo of the clock when you are finished making it. I'd love to see it.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Try alcohol. I accidently laid a plastic bag on my washer that had black print on it. It transferred to the washer. I used alcohol and just a quick rub took it off.
    Education makes a people easy to lead;difficult to govern; and impossible to enslave

Quote Originally Posted by charley26 View Post
    Try nail polish remover, it may work.
    This is what I use to remove Sharpie marks. I write settings I use often on my sewing machine and if/when I want to remove it, I just use a cotton ball and fingernail polish remover to clean it off. Works great.

Rather than rubbing alcohol, try denatured alcohol (get it at your hardware store). If that does not work try acetone. Be careful with these as they have strong fumes and use rubber gloves. Unless the plate is porous, they should work fine.