Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please help newbie salvage quilt top. Thanks!! >

Please help newbie salvage quilt top. Thanks!!

Please help newbie salvage quilt top. Thanks!!

Old 10-30-2014, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 View Post
Here it is, a quilt top with truly off-set blocks! I'm very pleased. Thank you for all who helped. You really gave me the motivation and inspiration to fix this properly. It was pretty easy too. Now to put the dark blue border around it.

Very clever fix. Looks great. I'm so glad you were able to get past the problem you were having. I always try to remember that quilts are not set in stone, you can always change them at any point with a seam ripper. I have ripped lots of times and been happier with my finished project. Keep on quilting.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:04 AM

Here is my quilt, all done!! Thanks to everyone. Your support and advice were excellent. Being a newbie, I ran into a problem which I'll ask about in a different thread. I think this is nice enough to give as a Christmas present after all. Especially since the recipient knows I'm new to quilting.

Attached Thumbnails 100_5490.jpg  
Old 10-30-2014, 06:40 AM

Leave it as is adds character and is a one of a kind I have learned not to be so fussy and hard on myself just enjoy looks great
Old 10-30-2014, 08:59 AM

Any handmade project would be a great gift and sounds like this one was made with a lotta love. Go on and quilt it, give it and stand back and receive the compliments! Winter's coming and this looks like a warm one! Keep on quiltin'! None of us would've ever kept going if we had stopped with our first quilt :0) Is anyone ever satisfied with their "first" of any project? Come on--you can do this!
Old 10-30-2014, 10:53 AM

For a Newbie your quilting sure is pretty. I'm so jealous because I'm not a newbie and I still can't free motion quilt.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:11 PM

Here it is, a quilt top with truly off-set blocks! I'm very pleased. Thank you for all who helped. You really gave me the motivation and inspiration to fix this properly. It was pretty easy too. Now to put the dark blue border around it.
I love how you fixed this- it's beautiful!
Old 10-30-2014, 02:48 PM
Power Poster

The quilt looks good. I would add a border of one of the fabrics inside the quilt equal in size all the way around and this way your quilt will be balanced. A quilt always looks so much better when quilted and this one will be lovely! I see someone already had this idea. Your quilt looks great with the blue border!
Old 10-30-2014, 03:02 PM

Oh, you folks are making me feel so much better!!

OK, so if I tell people "I made it this way" and it's a staggered quilt, can you give me ideas how to make the bottom straight? If I just cut it off the way it is now, I will have a 2" beige sashing on one side with the other ones getting progressively smaller until the last one is about 1/2". Should I try to add a bit of something to that 1/2" one? The same beige? Do you think the bottom should be kept the way it will be - staggered??
I would skip the blue border that was planned and just cut the outside to all be the same width. Then quilt and wash. If a newbie I would not attempt to fmq but just do one inch squares on the diagonal. Then wash it and you will be very pleased. I would love this for a gift. And, it would be a gift I would use, too instead of stowing it away in a closet. Good job! Oh, personally I think it would not look very nice with thinner borders around each box.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:00 PM

You did a great job on the quilt and the person getting it will be so pleased.
Now make a label as to who is getting it and of course--YOU the creator with dates.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:55 PM

Smile Bbb

J

love it all staggered. Looks wonderful. Good job with first quilt.