Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! Salvage emergency! >

Help! Salvage emergency!

Help! Salvage emergency!

Old 08-16-2018, 05:17 PM

Default Help! Salvage emergency!

Our house built in 1860 has burned. In it were several quilts hand quilted by my great great grandmother. They are over 150 years old and did not get direct fire damage but have black smoke/soot damage. I'm sure they'll fall apart in the washer. I've tried pine cleaner soaking and just water hose rinse. Some came out but not all. It gets lighter (slightly) if I rub but I'm afraid to rub too much. The fabric of very fragile. Light weight material and natural batting but i can't tell if it's wool or cotton. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 08-16-2018, 05:44 PM

Diane I so sorry to hear of your tragedy. You are right to be concerned about how to handle fabric that old. I think you best bet would be to call you closest museum that has a textile department. I am out of touch but there are special products to use on old fabric that will not harm them and won't leave a residue in the fabric after. Be very careful lifting your quilt if it is wet. Museums and conservators often lay a fragile item on a mesh screen so that no part carries the stress and weight which will cause the fabric to tear. Perhaps someone on the board is qualified to give you more information. This is a very helpful place. Welcome.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:27 PM

Here's an article about restoring and conserving old quilts. There might be something here that would help you.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:16 PM

This happened to my sister a few years ago and sadly the only thing she was able to salvage was one block from just the one quilt! I'm so sorry for your loss but at least there was no loss of life. Good luck with starting over.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:24 PM
Power Poster

I might try putting a quilt on the grassy lawn and use the hose to wash water through it and have it drain away the dirty water into the grass. If you need to add soap, perhaps the miracle grow bottle that fits onto the hose would work to put soapy water through the quilt? Sorry to hear if your fire. You might contact a company the does after fire clean up and they may have some ideas.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:28 AM

My folks had a hand woven, wool, Navaho rug that was full of smoke from all the fires. I made a warm/hot bathtub with woolite. Just laid the rug in the tub and swished it back and forth several times. I left it to soak for about 5 hours. Then a series of rinse tubs, but never agitating it. Turned out great. Colors became vibrant and there was no distortion of the shape.

I realize a that your have quilts which are much larger, but it could work. Be careful not to distort while wet.

Marcia
Old 08-17-2018, 03:21 AM

So sorry to hear of your loss - both home and damage to your treasured quilts.

Beyond contacting a textile museum as was suggested, I could only suggest putting a large sheet in your bathtub, then laying the quilt on top of that. Use a mild detergent (like liquid Dawn dish soap) if not a textile-specific product and lots of water. Gently swish the soapy water over/around the quilt. Rinse/repeat until clean. May take several repeats. Lift the wet quilt out via the sheet and lay flat to dry. If they are bed-sized quilts you will probably need help to do that part.

You could also roll the wet quilt/sheet combo in some towels to help 'wring' the excess water. That is how I used to get excess water out of cleaned/wet needlepoint canvas and and cross stitch work so as to not distort the piece.

Good luck with your cleaning and rebuilding.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

https://www.anniescatalog.com/detail.html?prod_id=92639
this has been discussed here before. this product may work.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:05 AM

Before you think you should tackle this yourself, I would talk to your insurance agent. You may have coverage for cleaning of items that were damaged by smoke, soot etc. I would not emphasize the antique nature of them to the agent, as antiques may need separate coverage, but rather as household items, which they are. If you have such coverage, and I am pretty sure most policies include it, you should be able to send them off to be professionally dealt with, and have your insurance company cover the cost.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by JustRetired View Post
Before you think you should tackle this yourself, I would talk to your insurance agent. You may have coverage for cleaning of items that were damaged by smoke, soot etc. I would not emphasize the antique nature of them to the agent, as antiques may need separate coverage, but rather as household items, which they are. If you have such coverage, and I am pretty sure most policies include it, you should be able to send them off to be professionally dealt with, and have your insurance company cover the cost.
Excellent advice from JustRetired.
You have my sympathy for the loss of so much of what was part of your life and memories. I know you are thankful there was no loss of life.