Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please help newbie salvage quilt top. Thanks!! >

Please help newbie salvage quilt top. Thanks!!

Please help newbie salvage quilt top. Thanks!!

Old 10-29-2014, 06:35 AM

Default Sneak peek.....

Here's the top, all redone. I love it!! I'm pinning it after this posts. I'll put up pics when it's quilted. I'm going to FMQ with light blue thread. (Funny, originally I was going to stagger the rectangles then I changed my mind. I should have stuck to the plan!)

Attached Thumbnails 100_5489.jpg  
Old 10-29-2014, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I wish the picture was bigger but I like what you did with it! And I agree, I think it's even more interesting than the original design. As Bob Ross used to say, "We don't make mistakes, we just have happy accidents."
Your design fix was perfect! Love it.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:10 AM

That turned out great and it looks so nice hanging on the compact clothes line. You were right about your first thoughts, now to the quilting, can't wait to see it finished.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:21 AM

Great save! Aren't the people on this board amazing? So supportive and helpful. I love the way your "new design" turned out.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

I believe the only part that is throwing you off and an easy fix is the last beige strip between the blue and floral. I would rip that last strip and trim the beige ever so slightly, reattach. That should bring everything into place. Don't trim the blue. It's just that little beige strip. Am looking at it again and I would lay it on a flat surface and see what is out of kilter. May be your outer strips need to be flipped/alternated. It's just a little our of kilter. Cute quilt. When line them up I would use pins.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

Once again I didn't read through al the posts. Great save! Still adorable quilt!
Old 10-29-2014, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 View Post
Here it is, a quilt top with truly off-set blocks! I'm very pleased. Thank you for all who helped. You really gave me the motivation and inspiration to fix this properly. It was pretty easy too. Now to put the dark blue border around it.
Brilliant looks amazing well done x
Old 10-29-2014, 09:23 AM

I love the new quilt AND the old one. But the re-do does look more intentional. I am so impressed that you were able to design your own quilt! WTG!
Old 10-29-2014, 10:57 AM

If it really bothers you. it can be fixed. The whole quilt doesn't have to be taken apart. I do see that on the left side that horizontal row is a little higher than the row next to it. On the right, it's lower. Measure the small sashing strips in each row. If all measure the same, then half of the problem is solved. Remove the stitches on the left side of first sashing, from the bottom to a 1/4 above the rose print block. Using your ruler, make a mark on the back side of the sashing using the second rose print block as a guide to line it up. Continue for each square.
Do the same in reverse to other side. When sewing rows always sew one row from the top down and the next row from bottom to the top. I hope I have explained this clearly. I really like your quilt, it is very pretty.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

To be honest, it looks like you planned for staggered strips. Just go with it, quilt it and I seriously doubt anyone will notice. I like the pattern, you should be proud of your design. Don't beat yourself up, I was cutting strips for a family reunion quilt, and when I started to do the piecing, I hadn't cut them wide enough, so I just clipped them together, and I'll use them in another quilt. I didn't have enough of the background fabric in any case, so the white backgrounds were different fabrics and nobody noticed, besides it was a scrappy quilt to begin with.