Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Potato Bags are just not worth it! >

Potato Bags are just not worth it!

Potato Bags are just not worth it!

Old 12-18-2011, 09:22 PM
Dee

I will not use these as too many fires started by the potatoe bags.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:05 AM

I had purchased a potatoe bag kit from a QS. I used it successfully a few times. I was even pleased with the baked potatoe results. Then one day my microwave was flaming. That was enough of that. I went back to putting them inside a paperbag
Old 12-19-2011, 03:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sandrab64 View Post
I bought a 'potato bag' kit yesterday from my LQS. Was excited to make it today to give as a gift! I read lots of threads regarding the pros and cons of the bag on the QB here so made sure I washed/dried the fabric, used only 100% cotton thread, and tested it in the microwave with a damp paper towel inside, hit the 'potato' button and.....the bag is now outside in the rain on the steps. It started smoking so bad and has a big brown burn spot in the inside and now I have a stinky kitchen to boot. Will never make one of these again. Perhaps others have had better luck but I feel it's just not worth the anxiety!
Am rather confused as to why you would put a potato in a bag to microwave, what good does it do?
Iusually cook in aga ,lovely and hard skin better than the soft one in micro, but when using micro just do it as normal and get good results----------why bother?
Old 01-22-2012, 09:20 AM

Quite interesting reading all these posts. I have a potato bag, but rarely use it...have never had trouble with it, but it works better for me as an oven mitt or a pad to set hot pans on on the table. It's in the drawer with my other potholders.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:43 AM

I bought all the items to make these bags. And to give as gifts. After reading all the replies, I think I will just make potholders and hot pads from the yardage of different fabrics and insulbrite I bought. I used to make potatoes in the oven all the time. Then the microwave was delivered-26 years ago? Never went back. All I do is scrub them, dry them off, poke once with a fork and place in a circle in the microwave. Take them out when squeezing them a bit proves they are done, and then place them in a large shallow bowl with one of my handmade hot pads set in the bottom. Then place another hot pad over the top to keep them warm and the steam keeps them moist. I made the hot pads big enough to cover this same bowl I use every time for serving the potatoes. Perfect potatoes every time.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:02 AM
Fabriclovr

Gee, I must be old fashioned! I wrap mine in foil and stick them in the oven.. not microwave.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:52 PM
BMP

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
I've never seen the need for these anyway. I think they're a silly waste of time and energy. I agree...not worth it on so many levels!
I have to say I agree also !!!
Old 01-22-2012, 01:47 PM

I won't use the bag in my mw...too many horror stories. When I mw baked potatoes, I just wash them and prick them and stick them in the mw. When I take them out, I give them a squeeze and then I used to wrap them in a clean dishtowel to finish cooking (I was always taught standing time after microwaving was important). Nowadays, I use my cute little potato bag for the 'standing' time instead of a dish towel.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Rose L View Post
Well, I must be misinformed as I thought the purpose of the potato bags were to keep the potatoes warm while serving at the dinner table. I just poke a hole in each potato and set them in a bowl with a little bit of water to cook them in the microwave. Then...I would place them in the bag...if I had one, lol!
that is how i cook potatoes and yams too. but have bought potatoe bags at craft sale and given them as gifts. mine came with instruction insert to wrap the potatoes in wet/damp paper towel. they work fine...no hotspots and i wash mine also after a few uses. they are pretty...probably pretty useless too...but fun if used correctly.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Fabriclovr View Post
Gee, I must be old fashioned! I wrap mine in foil and stick them in the oven.. not microwave.
that is the way i did mine till i saw friend to hers in mw. much cheaper energy wise...and for just me and dh much more convenient.