Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Potato Bags are just not worth it! >

Potato Bags are just not worth it!

Potato Bags are just not worth it!

Old 01-22-2012, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by mayday View Post
Am rather confused as to why you would put a potato in a bag to microwave, what good does it do?
Iusually cook in aga ,lovely and hard skin better than the soft one in micro, but when using micro just do it as normal and get good results----------why bother?
i would LOVE!!! to have an aga...want to trade stoves??? lollollol
Old 11-11-2012, 11:07 AM

You must use the Warm Tater Batting! I also used 100% cotton thread and fabric. Have used them for sweet potatoes as well as different types of potatoes with absolutely no problems. I do keep the potato wrapped in a damp paper towel and cook on high. Works every time.
Originally Posted by Nell Dwyer View Post
The proof of them working is in the Warm Tater Batting and 100% cotton material to make them-I have made many of them-with no problems, and use mine all the time with no problems-check to make sure you are using the right batting.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot View Post
I know this is not going to be a very popular response, but the truth is truth, even if nobody believes it.

These bags are dangerous. The fiber in batting and woven into the fabric is so fine that it is easily vaporized (a condition for combustion) and it does not contain enough moisture to prevent vaporization or extinguish combustion.

There, I said it. I'm a fire chief's daughter and I will probably still be acting like a fire chief's daughter the day I die. But, I won't die because I smoked in bed, plugged in a frayed cord, overloaded a circuit, used gasoline to start a barbecue or because I used a little quilt to cook my potatoes in.

THANK YOU for saying what a lot of us are thinking. I was inclined to make one of these and read about the bags catching on fire in the microwave when using Warm & Natural. Then I heard about the special potato batting so I checked it out at my local hobby store. There is a disclaimer on the package that warns about potential combustion even with this special product (yes, even 100% cotton is still combustible no matter how you slice it). So I quickly abandoned this project. Not worth the risks involved. I've used a wet paper towel to wrap a potato in for years and it's done just fine. If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
Old 11-11-2012, 05:50 PM

I have just read ALL 15 PAGES of this nonsense. I worked for viking a few years ago and a project we were told to demonstrate in the store was potato bags. One day I had my 10 yr old grandaughter make one to show how easy they were to make. She took it home to her father - he is THE COOK in the family. Oops--- it caught fire. So much for that idea. By the way, a potato in a microwave for 10 minutes would make a very hard rock.
That said, we have wasted enough time in this subject. Amen
Old 11-14-2012, 05:18 PM

I have made lots of them, you only cook them for about 3 mins for each little potato. What I do is wash the potato wrap in wet paper towel they come out great. Never cook on potato for 10 mins.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:17 PM

I was given one and gave it a try...had to yank it out when i saw a glow in my microwave! I will stick to wax paper.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:06 AM

I have made many.. . . but you don't cook them buy just HITTING the Potato button on your Microwave.

You take a med size potatoe and if you use more than one that side, then you cook them for about (max) 3 mins each. If I have 4 potatoes, in about 1/2 way thru the cooking, I turn the bag over, this is just me. They come out great. I wash them and put a damp paper towel around them before placing them in the bag.

I have made many of them, only never would I do what you did. I have a nephew that put a potatoe in there for 10 mins and it catch on fire, all I can say is never do it that way. In this case less is more.

I used 100% cotton outer fabric, and cotton batting, and mulsin for the inside.

Out of one yard of Main fabric you can cut 6. 12" by 21 long, same with the batting and muslin. If I have the fabric with the picture of potato's on them, then I do an embroidery design, that isn't cotton thread, but I have never catch them on fire or even smoked them.

For something like that don't forget no to microwaves are the same power and it is done of a average of what it thinks it would cook it.

It is just like the popcorn setting, no to microwaves cook that the same.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:01 PM

I don't understand about the wet paper towels, dry paper towels, paper plates, bowls with water, or other things that were used as "props" to bake potatoes in the MW. I just wash my potatoes, poke with knife tip a few places, and place on the turntable in the microwave. And 4 minutes per potato is the time given in the book. After the minimum time is up, I squeeze each one a little to see if it is done. Done ones come out using a pot holder (or a potato bag LOL) and the others get a little more heat. No dishes to wash or paper to waste, recycle, burn or try to reuse.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:32 PM

My neighbor made them for presents last year and she gave me one. It works great! The potatoes are awesome.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
I don't understand about the wet paper towels, dry paper towels, paper plates, bowls with water, or other things that were used as "props" to bake potatoes in the MW. I just wash my potatoes, poke with knife tip a few places, and place on the turntable in the microwave. And 4 minutes per potato is the time given in the book. After the minimum time is up, I squeeze each one a little to see if it is done. Done ones come out using a pot holder (or a potato bag LOL) and the others get a little more heat. No dishes to wash or paper to waste, recycle, burn or try to reuse.
Hear hear!! Or even better, in the oven, right next to the meatloaf!