Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Potato Bags are just not worth it! >

Potato Bags are just not worth it!

Potato Bags are just not worth it!

Old 12-17-2011, 07:08 PM

Glad you posted this. I was thinking of making them, but I think I'll pass.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:22 PM

I don't cook anything in my microwave in plastic either, as the polypropolene used in the manufacture of plastics leeches out into the food cooked in it. I don't even use the plastic plate covers sold for use in a microwave. My DH is a chemist and told me about the chemicals in plastic leeching into food cooked in it, i.e., plastic bags, wrap, containers, etc. The only thing that goes in my microwave these days with the food is glass or paper towels.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:43 PM
Power Poster

Interesting post....I am still not a total convert to microwaving .....I use ours to reheat, cook rice, steam veggies but that's about it (my husband is quite the opposite and swears by it). Give me old fashioned baked potatoes anytime....nothing better on a cold day than oven baked .....nice warm kitchen too
Old 12-18-2011, 06:39 AM

I've often wondered about the potato bags. After reading these posts, I think I have no desire to try one. Thanks for all the info.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
It's probably the batting. It has to be 100% pure cotton, no scrim batting. The only batting I know of that is safe to use in the microwave is Warm Tater Batting. Why use batting anyway? I roll a potato up in a cotton kitchen towel and it works just fine.
Mine did the same thing and I did use the Warm Tater Batting. I had already made two more, but I am too afraid to use them.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:42 AM

I feel bad for you. I made them and have given as gifts, using scraps of flannel for the batting. I just love using it and have never had any problem.
Michelle in Omaha
Old 12-18-2011, 11:35 AM

I made a couple of the bags last week & I did wash them before I used one. There is finishing on the material so that is why the instructions said to was them before use. My potato came out just fine & the bag did smell like wet material after but it did great. So last night I made 9 more for the girls in my family for christmas which I will either wash for them or make sure they know to do it before use. I think they are a cute but maybe useless because most of us do just wrap them in a towel or something . When I made the first ones I showed them to my husband & he said WHY?
Old 12-18-2011, 03:11 PM

Have never heard of potato bags for cooking, but some catalogs selll cloth bags for storage of potatoes and onions that are supposed to keep them fresh longer. What is so hard about washing, poking a few holes and buttering if desired and just microwaving on a paper plate. They come out great and the skin is also edible, which is where most of the vitamins and good stuff are.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:10 PM

I used insult bright in my tater bags! I have used them a lot and given away a bunch including yesterday as Christmas gifts! I have never had any problems but never cook longer than 4-5 minutes at a time! I give instructions to bake with mine. I am a bit Leary now but as I said I have cooked with them almost a year. They make great sweet potatoes and warm tortillas quite nicely. ..?????? Food for thought this thread is!!!!
Old 12-18-2011, 08:46 PM

I always thought they were a waste of time & material. Be my luck they would burn.