Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Potato Bags are just not worth it! >

Potato Bags are just not worth it!

Potato Bags are just not worth it!

Old 12-17-2011, 11:49 AM

I never saw the use for them. My potatoes come out just great on the baked potato setting
Old 12-17-2011, 11:53 AM

mine burned in a corner, it was touching the microwave. haven't used it since.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:39 PM

Rose and I both have the same idea. I poke holes in my washed potatoes. I use a Corning dish with a lid,
add a bit of water and put the lid on. They bake nicely and stay moist. i also do this with Sweet Potatoes.
I don't turn on my over to bake 2 potatoes.

June in Cincinnati
Old 12-17-2011, 12:58 PM

wow - what an interesting subject. I made about 20 for people for christmas. i used 100% cotton batting - some was warm and tater batting others i used a thinner batting that was 100% cotton. i am still giving them as gifts i will just tell everyone to please watch when cooking or else use it to keep rolls and taters warm before serving them.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by sandrab64 View Post
I bought a 'potato bag' kit yesterday from my LQS. Was excited to make it today to give as a gift! I read lots of threads regarding the pros and cons of the bag on the QB here so made sure I washed/dried the fabric, used only 100% cotton thread, and tested it in the microwave with a damp paper towel inside, hit the 'potato' button and.....the bag is now outside in the rain on the steps. It started smoking so bad and has a big brown burn spot in the inside and now I have a stinky kitchen to boot. Will never make one of these again. Perhaps others have had better luck but I feel it's just not worth the anxiety!
Same story here-I used the 'tater" batting, all cotton thread, fabric-bag burst into flames. Luckily no damage to microwave, but horrible odor for several days. It could have been horrible if I hadn't been standing next to the microwave.
About 15 yrs ago I made these bags, no problems, made them again last month because of requests-no more! I made 10 of them, cute bags, trying to decide how I can re purpose them.
Maire
Old 12-17-2011, 01:10 PM

I had the same experience. Mine actually burned a hole through. I used all the recommended fabric and batting but will never use it again. Too risky.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:13 PM

This sounds to me like a lot of hoopla over nothing...depending on if you are a bag cooker or not. Personally I like to wash, poke, and zap it. Mine are great. So were the ones I cooked in the oven a long, long time ago...before I got a microwave.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:56 PM

Maybe this question is somewhere else in the tread but did you happen to actually put a potato in the bag along with the damp paper towel? A microwave will cook anything it can find. I've sold these bags and used one now for 7 years and have never had a problem with them. The potatoes come out so much nicer, sweet potatoes are nicer.... Couldn't live without them now!
Old 12-17-2011, 02:27 PM

I think the quilt store that sold you the kit ought to give you your money back...take it back and show them the consequences, perhaps everything was not clearly 100% cotton. I've made dozens of these bags, sell them at the country store, and have never had one returned. I just make sure everything involved is 100% cotton.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:20 PM

Just happy to hear you or your home suffered no damage! It could have turned out alot worse. The worst part of things like that is someone WILL catch their home on fire because they'll put it in the microwave and leave for the time being to do something else. As far as I'm concerned items such as these shouldn't be marketed. You need to let your LQS know what happened to you and maybe they'll take them off their shelves.