Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Potato Bags are just not worth it! >

Potato Bags are just not worth it!

Potato Bags are just not worth it!

Old 12-17-2011, 03:55 PM

I have a friend who swears by these - one was given to her as a gift - but I haven't made one. When I do potatoes, I'm usually doing something in the oven at the same time, so I nuke the potato and throw it into the oven for the last 15 minutes with whatever I'm cooking and it comes out just like I'd baked it in the oven for an hour.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rose L View Post
Well, I must be misinformed as I thought the purpose of the potato bags were to keep the potatoes warm while serving at the dinner table. I just poke a hole in each potato and set them in a bowl with a little bit of water to cook them in the microwave. Then...I would place them in the bag...if I had one, lol!
Now THAT makes sense.....but cooking a potato in a little quilt!! One of those things that makes you go hmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Old 12-17-2011, 04:01 PM
Banned

I never saw the need for them either. I just poke the potatoes, set them on a paper towel and they come out just fine.

Phyllis
QuiltingGrannie
Quilter's Pantry
Old 12-17-2011, 04:35 PM

Wow I'm sorry this happened to you but i'm glad you shared it with us, to save us from having the same problem.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:11 PM

I dry my potatoes and poke them several times and wrap them in a dry paper towel and napkin. The point being to absorb the extra moisture so the tater gets fluffy. They never do turn out as nice as baked potato the old fashioned way, in the oven!

Originally Posted by LivelyLady View Post
That's how I do mine, too! Works like a charm!
Old 12-17-2011, 05:18 PM

I won't make them. A friend of mine made one and it started on fire inside the microwave. She had to replace the microwave. It was a very expensive potato bag!
Old 12-17-2011, 05:26 PM

thanks for all the feed back on the potato bags. i too think i'll steer clear of those. i'll just go make some pretty mug rugs to put aside as extra gifts.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:51 PM

I've recently made and used the bowl cozies. (At least that's what I call them). Have used them several times to heat instant oatmeal in the microwave or to reheat soup. I don't think I would ever want to have them in there on high for 10 minutes if that's how long baked potatoes take... That just seems like too long to me. My bowls are microwave safe, but they still get hot enough to make me jump and possibly spill the contents, so I started making some of these. When I give these as gifts though, I remind them "No longer than 4 minute intervals (that should be long enough to heat soup or stew) and use only in ovens equipped with a rotating tray. It also says never leave unattended. That's the best I can do since I can't be there with every bowl cozy I send out. Also, I caution against "Professional" hi voltage ovens.

About the ignition of the potato bags, I wonder if this was caused by using a microwave that does not have a rotating plate. I know from experience there are things I can do with a "carousel" oven that I can't do in an oven that doesn't rotate the food.

I own, "purchased" tortilla bags. I love them. Mine sound like there's some sort of plastic in them, because they "crinkle" when you squish them. Anyone know what that is? (Of course tortillas take less than 1 minute - so they've worked very well for me. I sure would like to know what is in it that makes that crackling sound. I would take them apart and find out for myself, but we use them so often, I'll just have to wait until one wears out. Anyone know?
Old 12-17-2011, 06:19 PM

I've never seen the need for these either - just polk the potato with a fork to make vent s for the steam to excape, and wrap in paper towel - I love SWEET POTATOES this way, I can make a meal of one they are so good! Cut it open, add a bit of brown sugar and butter - almost as good as LEFSA! Ufda..........
Old 12-17-2011, 06:35 PM

I think the "crinkle" sound might be cause by Insul-Bright or the like. I've used it in potholders and it does make that sound.

Originally Posted by M.I.Late View Post
I've recently made and used the bowl cozies. (At least that's what I call them). Have used them several times to heat instant oatmeal in the microwave or to reheat soup. I don't think I would ever want to have them in there on high for 10 minutes if that's how long baked potatoes take... That just seems like too long to me. My bowls are microwave safe, but they still get hot enough to make me jump and possibly spill the contents, so I started making some of these. When I give these as gifts though, I remind them "No longer than 4 minute intervals (that should be long enough to heat soup or stew) and use only in ovens equipped with a rotating tray. It also says never leave unattended. That's the best I can do since I can't be there with every bowl cozy I send out. Also, I caution against "Professional" hi voltage ovens.

About the ignition of the potato bags, I wonder if this was caused by using a microwave that does not have a rotating plate. I know from experience there are things I can do with a "carousel" oven that I can't do in an oven that doesn't rotate the food.

I own, "purchased" tortilla bags. I love them. Mine sound like there's some sort of plastic in them, because they "crinkle" when you squish them. Anyone know what that is? (Of course tortillas take less than 1 minute - so they've worked very well for me. I sure would like to know what is in it that makes that crackling sound. I would take them apart and find out for myself, but we use them so often, I'll just have to wait until one wears out. Anyone know?