Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Preventing pain

Can any one please let me know about the methods to prevent pain in shoulders, wrists, and back when doing machine quilting?

Thank you, Gloria

First, take breaks! Roll your shoulders, stretch, wiggle & shake your arms around....
    Another 'exercise' I learned that helps is "Yes, No, Maybe So"--- first nod your head up & down 3 times, like you're nodding 'yes', next turn your head from side to side 3 times - you got it, like saying 'no', and finally, raise your shoulders up to your ears & down again - 3 times ...'maybe so'!
    Hope this helps!

Blog Entries
    Make sure that both your sewing machine and chair are the right heighth for you. If your chair does not have lumbar support, maybe a pillow may help and try to keep good posture while you are sewing.

Here is my tried and true remedy when sewing late at night after a considerable amount of time at the sewing machine--- a nice glass of red wine and 3 liquid advil. Works everytime, and I feel no pain. Okay, this is just wrong....... hahahhaa.

I know we don't all get the same newsletter at the same time but the one I got just the other day was ful of tips on this. I'll see if I can post the link in case someone wants to look.
    http://www.quiltedparadise.com/n/197-rmq.jsp
    well it doesn't look like a link but hopefully you can get there from here!

ok, now it looks like a link!

Frequent breaks! Like every 10 - 15 min for 5 min pays off. I don't want to stop when I'm on a roll but it pays off. Enough pays off? :?: :?:

Blog Entries
    Thanks Kathy for the link, wow, lots of good information and tips, there :D

Thanks for the link Kathy! THere is alot of helpful information there. I don't think I have got this newsletter yet. I didn't know that there were different newsletters. LOL. I always thought we all got the same one.

Makes sense to me that would help. I just tried them and the last one when I lifted my shoulder up I got a bad pinch in my left one. OUCH. Must be really out of shape. I've had two rotator cuff surgeries in that shoulder and one surgery on the other side. :-)

Best tip I know for avoiding pain from machine quilting...pm jacquemoe and have her talented fingers do the walking to quilt that quilt :wink: :lol: :thumbup:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast