Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Elmer's for basting...NOT! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/elmers-basting-not-t180790.html)

clsurz 03-04-2012 04:52 AM

If you have a 40% or 50% coupon for JoAnn's you can buy the 505 with it.

GemState 03-18-2012 07:26 PM

I haven't tried it but am planning on experimenting with a small 'sandwich'. Would it be possible to thin the Elmer's school glue with water.....quite thin, put it in a spray bottle and spray it on as you would basting spray? This has been in the back of my mind for some time. Maybe it wouldn't even go through the spray bottle. Maybe tomorrow I will give it a try.

nprisner 03-19-2012 03:35 AM

I just finishing my first full size quilt and I've got puckers. YUK! I pinned A LOT and it still moved. I'll try the glue next time.

AshleyR 03-19-2012 04:08 AM

I tried school glue with poly batting and it didn't work at all. I also think I'm using some sort of NASA-designed quilt top that NO adhesive will adhere to. So I don't know if it's the top or the batting! I am moving away from poly batting and going strictly cotton and prewashing EVERYTHING so hopefully I can try this again!!

AshleyR 03-19-2012 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by GemState (Post 5071982)
I haven't tried it but am planning on experimenting with a small 'sandwich'. Would it be possible to thin the Elmer's school glue with water.....quite thin, put it in a spray bottle and spray it on as you would basting spray? This has been in the back of my mind for some time. Maybe it wouldn't even go through the spray bottle. Maybe tomorrow I will give it a try.

Mix equal parts glue and water and add 2-3 drops of dishsoap. You can spray or "dip". I think I'll try the "dip" method and press... that seems easier to me. I'll try it with scraps tonight and report back! I'm also going to try hairspray because I have a can that I cannot stand the smell of.

callen 03-19-2012 05:43 AM

Interesting concept. I must try this method on my next quilt. I HATE using pins but have reservations about using 505 again, since some negative comments were posted on this site. I spray lightly but all the same I did not know about all the precautions as the print is so small on the can.

COYOTEMAGIC 03-20-2012 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by GemState (Post 5071982)

I'm not sure if that would work or not. I think you would have to get it awful thin to go out the nozzle. Unless you are using something like a garden spray. Remember also the glue dissolves in the wash so you may end up just soaking you layers to get enough glue on there.

Let us know if it works!!

jude by the sea 08-03-2012 05:50 AM

Does anyone know where to buy the tips for the elmers glue. I have looked at Joann's and Michels. I had great success using Elmer's Shaoron Schamblers's way. I loved her tutorials on youtube

Deborahlees 08-03-2012 07:04 AM

I have used Elmers Spray Glue for applique placement on a wall quilt. Was cheaper than washable spray and for a wall quilt was perfect

TanyaL 08-03-2012 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by callen (Post 5072607)
Interesting concept. I must try this method on my next quilt. I HATE using pins but have reservations about using 505 again, since some negative comments were posted on this site. I spray lightly but all the same I did not know about all the precautions as the print is so small on the can.

Remember the precautions are made by the lawyers to protect the company in case of law suit, not necessarily to help you do a better job. I have used many, many cans of 505 with wonderful results.