Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I'm Frustrated!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/im-frustrated-t70680.html)

grann of 6 10-17-2010 10:24 AM

I can't believe this has ever happened to anyone else (said with tongue in cheek). I am just zooming along with my projects when alas I used up my can of basting spray. Maybe a month ago (before my flood) I bought a new can for this moment. I wonder where it is. I have looked every where, even in the garage. Now, my question is....what else can I use besides safety pins? I want to finish this runner today, not in 3 years. I tried some spray starch. By the way I have 4 cans of that; thought it might make the batting and top & bottom stick at least a little bit. Help!!!

kriscraft99 10-17-2010 10:27 AM

I've never used basting spray ~ where do you spray it? maybe I can help by telling you the way I do it? but I need to know what/how you are using it.

Originally Posted by grann of 6
I can't believe this has ever happened to anyone else (said with tongue in cheek). I am just zooming along with my projects when alas I used up my can of basting spray. Maybe a month ago (before my flood) I bought a new can for this moment. I wonder where it is. I have looked every where, even in the garage. Now, my question is....what else can I use besides safety pins? I want to finish this runner today, not in 3 years. I tried some spray starch. By the way I have 4 cans of that; thought it might make the batting and top & bottom stick at least a little bit. Help!!!

virtualbernie 10-17-2010 10:27 AM

You could baste it with needle and thread. A table runner shouldn't take long to do.

Chele 10-17-2010 10:31 AM

One of my friends uses Elmer's washable school glue. She said it washes right out. That can will show up the minute you finish quilting! ;)

Quilter4HireAndFun 10-17-2010 10:33 AM

I agree, a needle and thread will do the trick. I use the backside of my rotary cutting board sometimes for this. I put the backing on, (right side down) and use masking tape to hold it in place. Then I place the batting down and then the quilt top or table runner (right side up). I use a brightly colored old thread....usually orange...and use a curved needle to quickly baste. I hope this helps.

Jan

grann of 6 10-17-2010 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter4HireAndFun
I agree, a needle and thread will do the trick. I use the backside of my rotary cutting board sometimes for this. I put the backing on, (right side down) and use masking tape to hold it in place. Then I place the batting down and then the quilt top or table runner (right side up). I use a brightly colored old thread....usually orange...and use a curved needle to quickly baste. I hope this helps.

Jan

Nope, don't hand baste anything. Didn't you know that is why sewing machines were invented? I lay my runner top on the batting getting it roughly where I want it, fold half of the runner back and lightly spray the batting, then pat the runner top back down on it, then repeat on the opposite side. Then I cut the batting slightly outside the runner top, then lay that on the upside down backing and repeat the above procedure. Works well for me. I like using safety pins too, but wanted to try to speed this process up a bit today. I have arthritis in my right wrist and hands, so have great difficulty hand basting, the pins are problematic today as well.

oatw13 10-17-2010 10:44 AM

I, and some others, have used hairspray (or spray gel!) with a moderate success. It works best on smaller projects. The cheaper hairsprays hold better, like Aqua Net. If you have some, test it on your fabrics first to make sure it won't make the color bleed.

Halo 10-17-2010 10:44 AM

Glue sticks work great too.

grann of 6 10-17-2010 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by oatw13
I, and some others, have used hairspray (or spray gel!) with a moderate success. It works best on smaller projects. The cheaper hairsprays hold better, like Aqua Net. If you have some, test it on your fabrics first to make sure it won't make the color bleed.

I am working with a Christmas fabric that has the gold on it. Since I paid a small fortune for the fabric I am kind of afraid of putting something on it that will cause a problem. I hadn't planned on washing it afterward since it is just a table runner. I may try the glue stick in places. At this point I have made so many trips up and down the basement stairs, between hanging laundry and looking to see what the dogs are barking at that I am ready to call it a day.

MZStitch 10-17-2010 11:10 AM

If it's just a long table runner, couldn't you just baste it in place with long straight pins since you don't want to use safety pins? I would do that before trying to use any type of glue. It obviously wouldn't work on a full quilt, but why not give it a try on a table runner?