Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm Frustrated!! >

I'm Frustrated!!

I'm Frustrated!!

Old 10-17-2010, 10:24 AM
  #1  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
grann of 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Glenmoore, PA
Posts: 7,865
Default

I can't believe this has ever happened to anyone else (said with tongue in cheek). I am just zooming along with my projects when alas I used up my can of basting spray. Maybe a month ago (before my flood) I bought a new can for this moment. I wonder where it is. I have looked every where, even in the garage. Now, my question is....what else can I use besides safety pins? I want to finish this runner today, not in 3 years. I tried some spray starch. By the way I have 4 cans of that; thought it might make the batting and top & bottom stick at least a little bit. Help!!!
grann of 6 is offline  
Old 10-17-2010, 10:27 AM
  #2  
Super Member
 
kriscraft99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Upstate, SC
Posts: 2,164
Default

I've never used basting spray ~ where do you spray it? maybe I can help by telling you the way I do it? but I need to know what/how you are using it.


Originally Posted by grann of 6
I can't believe this has ever happened to anyone else (said with tongue in cheek). I am just zooming along with my projects when alas I used up my can of basting spray. Maybe a month ago (before my flood) I bought a new can for this moment. I wonder where it is. I have looked every where, even in the garage. Now, my question is....what else can I use besides safety pins? I want to finish this runner today, not in 3 years. I tried some spray starch. By the way I have 4 cans of that; thought it might make the batting and top & bottom stick at least a little bit. Help!!!
kriscraft99 is offline  
Old 10-17-2010, 10:27 AM
  #3  
Super Member
 
virtualbernie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,586
Default

You could baste it with needle and thread. A table runner shouldn't take long to do.
virtualbernie is offline  
Old 10-17-2010, 10:31 AM
  #4  
Super Member
 
Chele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Belle Isle, Florida
Posts: 6,668
Default

One of my friends uses Elmer's washable school glue. She said it washes right out. That can will show up the minute you finish quilting! ;)
Chele is offline  
Old 10-17-2010, 10:33 AM
  #5  
Junior Member
 
Quilter4HireAndFun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Plano,TX
Posts: 232
Default

I agree, a needle and thread will do the trick. I use the backside of my rotary cutting board sometimes for this. I put the backing on, (right side down) and use masking tape to hold it in place. Then I place the batting down and then the quilt top or table runner (right side up). I use a brightly colored old thread....usually orange...and use a curved needle to quickly baste. I hope this helps.

Jan
Quilter4HireAndFun is offline  
Old 10-17-2010, 10:42 AM
  #6  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
grann of 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Glenmoore, PA
Posts: 7,865
Default

Originally Posted by Quilter4HireAndFun
I agree, a needle and thread will do the trick. I use the backside of my rotary cutting board sometimes for this. I put the backing on, (right side down) and use masking tape to hold it in place. Then I place the batting down and then the quilt top or table runner (right side up). I use a brightly colored old thread....usually orange...and use a curved needle to quickly baste. I hope this helps.

Jan
Nope, don't hand baste anything. Didn't you know that is why sewing machines were invented? I lay my runner top on the batting getting it roughly where I want it, fold half of the runner back and lightly spray the batting, then pat the runner top back down on it, then repeat on the opposite side. Then I cut the batting slightly outside the runner top, then lay that on the upside down backing and repeat the above procedure. Works well for me. I like using safety pins too, but wanted to try to speed this process up a bit today. I have arthritis in my right wrist and hands, so have great difficulty hand basting, the pins are problematic today as well.
grann of 6 is offline  
Old 10-17-2010, 10:44 AM
  #7  
Super Member
 
oatw13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,685
Default

I, and some others, have used hairspray (or spray gel!) with a moderate success. It works best on smaller projects. The cheaper hairsprays hold better, like Aqua Net. If you have some, test it on your fabrics first to make sure it won't make the color bleed.
oatw13 is offline  
Old 10-17-2010, 10:44 AM
  #8  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Centerville, WA
Posts: 1,254
Default

Glue sticks work great too.
Halo is offline  
Old 10-17-2010, 10:54 AM
  #9  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
grann of 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Glenmoore, PA
Posts: 7,865
Default

Originally Posted by oatw13
I, and some others, have used hairspray (or spray gel!) with a moderate success. It works best on smaller projects. The cheaper hairsprays hold better, like Aqua Net. If you have some, test it on your fabrics first to make sure it won't make the color bleed.
I am working with a Christmas fabric that has the gold on it. Since I paid a small fortune for the fabric I am kind of afraid of putting something on it that will cause a problem. I hadn't planned on washing it afterward since it is just a table runner. I may try the glue stick in places. At this point I have made so many trips up and down the basement stairs, between hanging laundry and looking to see what the dogs are barking at that I am ready to call it a day.
grann of 6 is offline  
Old 10-17-2010, 11:10 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 460
Default

If it's just a long table runner, couldn't you just baste it in place with long straight pins since you don't want to use safety pins? I would do that before trying to use any type of glue. It obviously wouldn't work on a full quilt, but why not give it a try on a table runner?
MZStitch is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Snorky Lvs2Quilt
Main
16
04-21-2011 09:57 PM
borntoquilt
Main
40
06-08-2009 05:59 PM
vandeaner
Main
17
03-30-2008 09:10 AM
Flying_V_Goddess
Main
22
03-19-2008 03:25 PM
newquiltertoni
Main
7
12-11-2007 02:16 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.