Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I'm Frustrated!!

Sharon Schamber has a great basting technique video on her website or youtube...see below. It is one that is used in the garment industry. It is fast and works great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA

Diana in Texas

A friend told me to cut up Wonder Under or any adhearing interfacing into a really fine "snow" and sprinkle that between the layers and iron it, an presto you have all layers adheared. Haven't tried it yet.
    good luck
    Kate

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    This is why I use Pinmoors. The best thing I have bought in the last year. I can baste a big quilt in no time using these. FYI: I have tried every spongy/foamy/pliable item there is but they aren't Pinmoors.

http://www.pinmoor.com/
    Wow BellaBoo! I just watched the video. I am going to try them-thanks for the link!!

Quote Originally Posted by Honey
    I use safety pins for my basting. They work great and don't come out like stick pins do. You also don't get jabbed in the boob every time you turn around!
    You'll love Pinmoors. (no affiliation, just think it's a great product)
    I went to the Pinmoor link, liked what I saw and ordered...thanks for the tip.

You say that you have good fabric and like the project. Either go buy spray or wait for another day. When I'm frustrated I generally don't do my best work. That's just what I would do.

Elmers washable glue works great.

You might prefer to use a while thread to baste, because sometimes colored thread will leave a residue when it is pulled out. A large cone of white basting thread is not very expensive and will last for ever so long--unless you make a quilt about every month. LOL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cherylynne
    You say that you have good fabric and like the project. Either go buy spray or wait for another day. When I'm frustrated I generally don't do my best work. That's just what I would do.
    Just came home from running a couple errands out in Amish country, and guess what, no one had basting spray. But I thought of something I am going to try. Someone was talking about those pin-whatevers; a piece of rubber-type thing you stick your pin into. I am going to try that with some styrofoam peanuts that came in a package. Cheap, and recyclable. Why not?!?!?!

Worth a shot Gran of 6. I'm a Gran of 6 also.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6
    I can't believe this has ever happened to anyone else (said with tongue in cheek). I am just zooming along with my projects when alas I used up my can of basting spray. Maybe a month ago (before my flood) I bought a new can for this moment. I wonder where it is. I have looked every where, even in the garage. Now, my question is....what else can I use besides safety pins? I want to finish this runner today, not in 3 years. I tried some spray starch. By the way I have 4 cans of that; thought it might make the batting and top & bottom stick at least a little bit. Help!!!
    google how to baste a quilt. This u tube will give you a great way to thread baste a quilt. I used this on the one I working on now. I just love this method.

I normally never spray baste a table runner. I just smooth it down really well and start quilting.

hair spray will work. I have used it in a pinch. Not as good as the 505 spray.

thanks for sharing - they sound like such an interesting product!

Thanks everyone for all the great ideas! I just basted a lap quilt last night and my fingers are sore. I am going to try spray basting next time. I have not quilted in a few years and all these new products have come out!

Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    You could baste it with needle and thread. A table runner shouldn't take long to do.
    This sounds like an excellent solution, especially if your machine will baste for you!

heat set some glue..works wonders. I would share my spray with you if I could. =)

The only other thing to suggest is to hand baste it. Sorry not more help.

I love using glue sticks and they are so reasonably priced.

Ordinary school glue works.It also only goes where you want it to and doesn't get sprayed on everything else.It washes out after you have quilted.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey
    I use safety pins for my basting. They work great and don't come out like stick pins do. You also don't get jabbed in the boob every time you turn around!
    :lol: Its so true Honey! Also you look like you got in a fight with a cat and lost.

This is why I use Pinmoors. The best thing I have bought in the last year. I can baste a big quilt in no time using these. FYI: I have tried every spongy/foamy/pliable item there is but they aren't Pinmoors.

They look great, but $19.95 for 50?? That's 38 1/2 cents each!

Many thanks for this tip - I haven't actually seen them over here, so will hunt for them - will use them for another purpose mainly, but look like the right solution. Most of the folk I know end up cutting core board into pieces for this purpose. However, if the price is right, I'll get these.

OK, WHAT ARE PINMOORS?? I THINK YOU ALL HAVE GREAT IDEAS. I PIN WITH THE CURVED SAFTY PINS. WORKS GREAT!!!!
    PUGLOVER1

Quote Originally Posted by PUGLOVER1
    OK, WHAT ARE PINMOORS?? I THINK YOU ALL HAVE GREAT IDEAS. I PIN WITH THE CURVED SAFTY PINS. WORKS GREAT!!!!
    PUGLOVER1
    I use the curved safety pins and kwik klip to close them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sewslow

They look great, but $19.95 for 50?? That's 38 1/2 cents each!
    That sounds awful expensive!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast