Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New York Beauty Challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-york-beauty-challenge-t31885.html)

Iluv2quilt 12-21-2009 09:22 AM

Oh that's really pretty. Chalk doesn't come off as easily as you'd think, I always have to rub it off.

Tiffany 12-21-2009 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Iluv2quilt
Oh that's really pretty. Chalk doesn't come off as easily as you'd think, I always have to rub it off.

If I use a chalk wheel I find the chalk usually bounces right off when I'm quilting, but the chalk pencils I have to scrub off. I do mark pretty hard though, which is likely why I have to wash it several times or use an eraser or wet rag to scrub it off.

deranged_damsel 12-21-2009 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Sparky
There is something different from the pattern. I sewed all the patches in the same direction, I think I should have reversed some of them. Or I should have sewn all of them before attaching the first row which is wrong. It was the only way I could make the color right. It's not that important for how I'm using this to worry about. But next time I'll try to make it work as intended.

thats great! I have a really hard time looking at my work... it can ALWAYS look better! I need to learn a bit of your point of view :)
I used to put a messed up square into every quilt on purpose! just to prove to myself that it didnt HAVE to be perfect :)
and have gone back to my old pefectionist self again :roll:
"messing up is part of quilting, RIGHT" I repeat to myself.....

Sparky 12-21-2009 03:07 PM

Call it creativity and you will feel better about yourself.

Tiffany 12-21-2009 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by deranged_damsel
thats great! I have a really hard time looking at my work... it can ALWAYS look better! I need to learn a bit of your point of view :)
I used to put a messed up square into every quilt on purpose! just to prove to myself that it didnt HAVE to be perfect :)
and have gone back to my old pefectionist self again :roll:
"messing up is part of quilting, RIGHT" I repeat to myself.....

Actually, I see nothing wrong with wanting to make a 'perfect' quilt. We are all striving to get better at quilting, right? I'm a perfectionist - but only when it comes to my own work. I don't expect others to live up to my expectations, esp when I can't live up to them. I actually hate that expression, "If you can't see it from a galloping horse at ten feet away" - mostly because I will never be running past a quilt. I notice the mistakes, but as long as they are not mine I'm not bothered by them. As for my own work, I strive to do the best I can and when I don't meet my expectations (which is often), I then tell myself to live with the results. And most others don't notice things the way I do, but I think we all do that with our work. There is nothing wrong with striving for perfection. And when I don't meet it, I tell myself that only God is perfect. ;)

Shemjo 12-21-2009 07:02 PM

Love your sparkly piece! I am in awe of finished tops!

eyequilt 02-04-2010 07:12 PM

There's going to be a free class this month at the Quilted Hill in Yamhill on finishing borders and bindings, you might get help there. (I think a class is coming up on NY Beauties, too)

many craft person 02-05-2010 08:47 AM

JustMe - do you wash out the chalk and hairspray when done, or does it cover up? can't quite get the concept in my head, but it sounds like a great idea.

knlsmith 02-06-2010 01:10 AM

Those are some SHARp points. Excellent job!

Oklahoma Suzie 02-06-2010 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Iluv2quilt

This is what my sister uses.