Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Supreme Slider (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/supreme-slider-t226362.html)

Vera39760 07-22-2013 09:00 PM

Supreme Slider

I have done quilting on my DMS for many years. I've been reading about silicon pads and supreme sliders and wonder if they really do help. I use the rubber shelf liners under my hands to control my quilt. I got so tired last night just working on a baby quilt and wondered if the sliders would make it easier. I don't want to spend the money on it and then have it be one of the things I put aside and don't use.
Thanks for any help.
Vera

Candace 07-22-2013 09:59 PM

Yes, they really do help and are worth the money.

watson's mom 07-22-2013 10:43 PM

I bought one and used it only once. I didn't notice a difference and thought it was a big waste of money. They aren't cheap!! Just my opinion.

gypsyquilter 07-23-2013 03:50 AM

I have one also, along with a quilt halo. if I am doing FMQ on my domestic machine then I do use the slider, but the slider is small, so it is only good for working in an area that size, the rest of the quilt will still have friction across the rest of your table, so you need to take that into consideration if you are doing a quilt on your DSM. I haven't used it in years, as I have a gammill long arm and do all my FMQ on it.

as for the quilt halo - it helps too.

paulswalia 07-23-2013 04:01 AM

As Gypsyquilter says above, the supreme slider is pretty small. If you have an extension table for your machine, or if it's flat with your cabinet, consider using a Teflon oven liner sheet. I got several at wallymart for much less than you would pay for the slider. Cut a hole in it for your needle and use masking tape to attach it to your table.

Dolphyngyrl 07-23-2013 04:51 AM

Yes I have sew slip and it makes a huge difference

Vera39760 07-23-2013 05:12 AM

Thanks for your answers. I'm going to get Teflon oven liner. That way if I don't use it, I can put it in my oven. My sewing machine is flush with my cabinet, and I have space on the left at my side and behind my machine to support my quilts.

QuiltE 07-23-2013 05:21 AM

I've been using the Silicone Spray to get the slip-slide that's needed on my plexi extension for the machine..

And now I've been considering buying a large piece of plexiglass to cover the desk surface beyond my plexi sewing table. Spray them all with the silicone and slide away!

nativetexan 07-23-2013 06:34 AM

mine kept getting caught up in the quilt as I moved it along. some quilters tape their slider to the machine. not worth the trouble.

QuiltE 07-23-2013 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 6191922)
mine kept getting caught up in the quilt as I moved it along. some quilters tape their slider to the machine. not worth the trouble.

There was someone here on the QB that actually stitched thru their SS.
Was it you?