Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tying a quile (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tying-quile-t75525.html)

carhop 11-10-2010 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by mysippycup2
I will be watching this thread because I am wondering about tying a quilt also.
I too signed up for Joanns and just realized they were going to my spam folder. I have yet to recieve anything in the mail. The girl at Joanns told me to sign up again at the store without an email address.

I never signed up at the store but like I just said buy something on line I get both coupons on line and sale book in the mail

pocoellie 11-10-2010 11:52 AM

Size doesn't matter on tying, I've tied as big as an oversized king. I personally prefer embroidery floss, some people use yarn, crochet thread, ribbon, etc. I personally like to tie approximately every 4", then I go in between the 4" and offset it 2", if that makes any sense to you, but this is just my own personal thing, I've seen tied quilts as far apart as 10" or maybe more.

As far as Joann's goes, it sometimes will take 3 or 4 months to get your fliers and e-mails notices started.

bakermom 11-10-2010 02:10 PM

I've tied up to a full size quilt. Usually use emb. floss. I'll use an index card or the cardboard from a fat quarter as my quide.

mommamac 11-10-2010 02:42 PM

I have either used floss or cotton crochet thread.

clem55 11-10-2010 02:56 PM

I had good success with perle cotton.

asmmauer 11-10-2010 02:57 PM

can tie any size quilt I remember going to my grandmas house
and sleeping under her warm thick quilts, blocks cut from worn out clothes and then sewn together. Hers were tied with yarn and floss. Probably based on what she had on hand at the time.

Granny Charley 11-10-2010 04:30 PM

I am making memory quilts from my Mom's polyester pants and I am using crochet thread to tie them. I use square knots so they won't come untied.

Kitsapquilter 11-10-2010 04:35 PM

I like a heavier crochet thread or pearl cotton. I don't much like yarn since it never looks as good after a washing.
I haven't tied anything but baby quilts but would not be afraid to do any size as long as it is close enough together.

Dani 11-10-2010 09:40 PM

When I was a member of the quilt guild in Oregon, we tied community quilts with crochet thread. Looked very nice and washed well. We tied with a surgeon's knot (look up on internet as it's too hard to describe).

Edie 11-11-2010 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Patched
I am planning on using pearle cotton at the corners of each block which are 9.5 inches. There is no batting, we are using fleece on the backing.

If I tie a quilt, I always use Perle cotton thread. I tie with five per block if it is a 12" block - one at each corner and one dead center. Also, I use a color that matches the block and if it is a print with a white background I use the white Perle cotton. You could also shadow quilt which I have done with the Perle cotton - then I don't tie it. Whatever you like works good! Hey, My Quilt, My Rules! Edie