Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tying a quile (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tying-quile-t75525.html)

Zephyr 11-11-2010 06:17 AM

I use three strands of embrodery thread, some times matching (so it disappears) and some times contrasting. I like my "tails" to be on the short side, so I snip them at about the width of my thumb. I really don't care for the ones that are tied with "long dangly worms" left hanging on them. The number of ties depends on what kind of batting I have used.

Fabaddict 11-11-2010 06:18 AM

I tied all sizes until I got my Fun quilter. I used emb. floss, not yarn. Yarn tends to come untied easier. Yarn is definately not recommended for baby quilts - babies play with it and it does come untied, and of course goes right into the mouth.

ginnh1588 11-11-2010 06:23 AM

Whoa!! I think I may haveheard something I need to know more about...fleece for batting? Would this work as batting for a table cloth> If not, do you have any suggestions for tablecloth innards! Ginny

judykay 11-11-2010 06:56 AM

I use pearl cotton thread usually size eight, but you can use any size you like. You need only one strand and they stay tied.

Judy in Michigan

humbird 11-11-2010 07:05 AM

I am in the process of tying an oversized queen size. I am using cotton crochet thread on this one, but usually use embrodery floss, (all 6 strands) and change colors to match the fabric color. (my quilts are mostly scrappy) That way, you can hardly see the tyes. I used yarn years ago, but don't care so much for it. Haven't tried pearl cotton, but suppose it would be much like the cotton crochet. I just happened to have this on hand, and didn't want to go shopping :) The pattern of the quilt determines how far apart I tie. The one I am doing now is about every 2 inches. Like said in earlier posts, be sure to read instructions on batting package.

Parrothead 11-11-2010 07:21 AM

Perle Cotton, Size 3 works best. Also crochet thread. If you want to use yarn, use cotton yarn as it does fuzz as much.

pittsburgpam 11-11-2010 07:48 AM

I have a queen sized quilt that I tied years ago but never did get it bound. I used a perle cotton on it. This was before I ever thought to have anything machine quilted by someone and I wasn't going to hand quilt it because it is foundation pieced on muslin.

Now that I have my own long arm, I am going to put it into the frame and quilt it, just need to snip the yarn. Haven't decided if I will do that before or after. Might be really easy to just load it as is and take out the ties as I go.

lillybeck 11-11-2010 07:53 AM

Depending on what kind of quilt I a doing I use yarn or embroidery floss. For large quilts that will be used a lot and such use yarn for bay quilts and ones that you want to look a bit more glamorous use floss.

jdeery 11-11-2010 08:07 AM

I used pearl cotton, I liked it, looked nice and held up pretty good. I think any size is okay.

egagnon291 11-11-2010 08:13 AM

I use pearl cotton or embroidery thread. I always tie baby quilts and some twin and lap size. Haven't tied a large quilt yet, but I have seen some tied and they work out just fine.