Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Update on Rowenta fire (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/update-rowenta-fire-t198247.html)

Kay in Iowa 08-21-2012 07:30 AM

Update on Rowenta fire

Well, after a very busy summer, I finally sent in my iron that caught on fire as I was using it. I sent with it, photos of my burnt hand as well as photos of the big burn hole in my backing fabric. I received a phone call from Rowenta about 10 days ago while we were at the Iowa State Fair. Their representative told me the iron was manufactured in 2007 - I probably didn't use it until 2009 I think - maybe 2010 - but they had the results from looking at the iron and he said the cord has "tiny wires in it that break from using the iron" - I said, "so it was a defective cord" - "Oh no - it was just used a lot and this happens quite often"................to say I was STUNDED was an understatement. He actually told me "this happens quite often"...........BEWARE - BEWARE. I told him I have been ironing for over 60 years and I certainly hope it NEVER HAPPENS AGAIN! I am still in a state of disbelief! Since I was outside the building that had the State Fire Marshal's display at the State Fair when he called me on my cell phone - I went in and talked to the State Building Code Inspector. He advised me to contact the Product Safety Council which I intend to do. We arrived home last night and here was a box with a new Rowenta iron in it. Now - here's the question - would you use it? And, if not, what iron would you buy? I have two other Rowentas and now I'm gun shy. I'm kind of anxious about the whole thing. Oh - one more thing - the quilt I made that caught on fire - I embroidered a patch for that section of the backing - and would you believe I WON A BLUE RIBBON ON THE QUILT at the Iowa State Fair................happy dance, happy dance! ! ! Will try and get a picture on soon.

QuiltingKrazy 08-21-2012 07:34 AM

Well great news about the quilt at least! As for the iron.... I guess I would use it with caution. Check the cord frequently for cracks! I am thinking the person you spoke to may have mis-spoken about how often this happens. I would imagine there would be more complaints if it did! Hope the hand has heal completely!

ArtsyOne 08-21-2012 07:36 AM

Thanks for posting this update - I'd been wondering what Rowenta was going to say about your experience. And it makes me more diligent about checking my cords too.

RonieM 08-21-2012 07:42 AM

I have been using the same Rowenta iron for over 10 years and have never had a problem with it. I would say your's was probably just a fluke.

Congrats on your blue ribbon!

Deborahlees 08-21-2012 07:42 AM

I would persue the Product safety council with zeal...this could be a major home/life safety issue, what if you had died and your house had burned down, then what would they have to say !!!!!

crafty pat 08-21-2012 07:47 AM

That is the iron I have so like you I am a little afraid to use it. I have never had any problems with it but I have been using it a long time so maybe I need to have the cord checked out or get a new iron. I am so happy your quilt won for you.

DogHouseMom 08-21-2012 07:54 AM

I'm stunned that an employee of Rowenta would say that (no- I don't doubt what you heard, I am just scratching my head that he would SAY those words). Basically - he freely admitted that Rowenta has a safety issue that has been known for a long time ... HUGE product liability!!!

I would definitely pursue this with Product Safety Council as there are other people out there with this product that might not be as lucky as you - they could lose their homes or ... their lives.

Patti25314 08-21-2012 08:50 AM

I think you should pursue reimbursement for your fabric and any medical bills. I had a problem once with dog medication (can't reveal name of company - part of the settlement), but they paid for ALL of my dogs medical costs which covered about 3 months of care. Rowenta make such great irons that I can't imagine that they don't want to make this right and make you a happy customer.

ptquilts 08-21-2012 08:54 AM

I have been ironing for 45 years (no Rowentas) and have never had one burst into flame. Reminds me of when you take your car in for a problem, no matter what it is, the answer is always, "They're known for that."

If this happens so much, why don't they FIX it!!!!

I would use the new iron and the other Rowentas, but always unplug them when I left the room.

Peckish 08-21-2012 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 5456609)
Basically - he freely admitted that Rowenta has a safety issue that has been known for a long time ... HUGE product liability!!!

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking. That employee just opened Rowenta up for legal action. Well, this solidifies MY decision to stay away from them.