Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Update on Rowenta fire (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/update-rowenta-fire-t198247.html)

LadyElisabeth 08-21-2012 02:06 PM

I was thinking about getting a Rowenta, but think I will try something else

sewmuch 08-21-2012 02:11 PM

YIPPEE, on your blue ribbon....I have had the same Rowenta for 15 years, no problems, but will certainly check the cord...also, have 2 sunbeams no problems with them either...

momto5 08-21-2012 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by RonieM (Post 5456582)
I have been using the same Rowenta iron for over 10 years and have never had a problem with it. I would say your's was probably just a fluke.

Congrats on your blue ribbon!

No, I would say YOURS was the fluke...there are many people on this Board (me included) who have had problems with the Rowentas...to the point where I, at least, will NEVER buy another one...I've had three, and had problems with all of them. None of them hold water in addition to being what looks like a fire hazard. They need to pull them off the market! :) And it's not like they're inexpensive...

spokanequilter 08-21-2012 03:45 PM

Wow - I hadn't read anything about this until now. Scary for sure... I've had two Rowentas, paid about $100 for each, and finally after the second one started spitting and leaking, I went to Walmart and bought a T-Fal for about $40 and it works like a dream. Plenty of steam, auto shut-off and a really long cord. Everything I want in an iron for a lot less money. Rowenta was recommended to me by a friend who swears by hers, but I'm re not very excited about the brand. Sounds like they have varying reliability.

I think you should definitely pursue is with the Product Safety Commission. Good luck!!

ube quilting 08-21-2012 03:50 PM

I use a Reliable and love it. A good weight and lots of steam in adjustable amounts. I use this for pressing yardage.

I really like my small travel Rowenta for pressing seams while I'm sewing.

peace

Skyangel 08-21-2012 03:55 PM

I will never buy another Rowenta iron. I bought one at Macy's and within 1 year it started leaking and by 3 years it died. One day it was sitting on the ironing board behind me as I sewed, getting up to use it periodically. Suddenly it started steaming on it's own, got hotter and hotter, them POP! and it died. Now I am using a Rowenta I bought used at a silent auction at work for $1.00 ... the sole was brown and gunky, I got some cleaner and cleaned it. When the other one died, I started using it, haven't had a problem yet, no leak ... knock on wood ... but I will get something else next time.

Stitchnripper 08-21-2012 06:21 PM

My leaky Rowenta is in a closet. I use a Black and Decker Digital Advantage

Silver Needle 08-21-2012 06:31 PM

I iron a lot with my Rowenta Travel Iron. It has that extra plastic piece that goes around the cord where it enters the iron. I see that it has split and no longer supports the cord as it enters the iron. I wonder if its getting time to replace it? Does anyone have a favorite travel iron size brand that they like other than the Rowenta?

almond 08-21-2012 06:58 PM

Hi Kay! Great job on quilt. You will need to post a picture to show off that beauty. I've seen it girls and it is wonderful!
By the way Kay, I also threw out my rowenta also.

Peckish 08-21-2012 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper (Post 5457996)
My leaky Rowenta is in a closet. I use a Black and Decker Digital Advantage

The Digital Advantage is another good iron, I had one before I got the Reliable. It worked great - until I dropped it on brick. :(