Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Update on Rowenta fire (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/update-rowenta-fire-t198247.html)

Monroe 08-21-2012 09:26 PM

My 1st Rowenta was about $90 around 1997, and I only ironed some clothes weekly. About 6 months later I kept feeling like I had a fresh scratch on the underside of my wrist, but didn't see anything. Ditto the next week. Finally realized tiny copper wires I couldn't see were just barely sticking out from the cord and I was actually being mildly zapped! Rowenta was no help at all. Didn't buy another one for 10 years, and noticed there was a better cord attachment to the iron. Well, this one leaks. No more Rowentas for me! Thank you for the fire warning!

Holice 08-22-2012 03:01 AM

I would call the company again and go up the management chain. This company constantly denies there are problems with their irons. I talked with a higher level employee at a quilt show some years ago and told him what I had been hearing and he flatly told me there was no problem with their product. If you read previous posts you will see many problems. What you were told is not appropriate and for a company to say "it happens often" is not the answer Then to send a new one just covers up the problem. So.......make the call again but to higher level management.

Reba'squilts 08-22-2012 03:14 AM

I am on my third Rowenta...I have not had a fire problem. The first two just quit after about 2 years. I unplug when I leave the room after reading about the fire problem. I like the way they iron but will not buy another. Wish I knew which one was the best! Congratulation on your blue ribbon!

ptquilts 08-22-2012 03:15 AM

check out the reviews on this website - apparently "they are known for that".

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/rowenta.html

Do I see a class action lawsuit in the future??

Debbie C 08-22-2012 03:45 AM

I would use it, but with great caution and check it often for cracks. I'm still using an iron given to me as a shower gift over 36 years ago - a Proctor Silex that just won't quit!! So much for all the fancy stuff on today's market!!

sandy l 08-22-2012 03:52 AM

Looks like the Rowenta is one of those "love/hate" relationships. I have used them for years, with never any problems. (not bragging, just stating)

calicojoan 08-22-2012 04:05 AM

Interesting how Rowenta spun the details of fault! I am on my 4th Rowenta Steam Iron, and every one of them has started to melt by the cap where you put the water in. This one is now doing the same thing, which renders them useless. I love the iron, but at almost $200 a pop, and only about 2 years use, I can't justify another one. I am in the market for a good steam iron myself, so I am interested to hear what others have to say!

nhweaver 08-22-2012 04:11 AM

My rowenta is over six years old, my cord cracked near the plug area (cracked within the first year), and my husband replaced it with a heavy duty plug replacement. He told me it was from me pulling the cord to remove it from the outlet rather than using the plug. (Yep, I am one of those people - if I am an a hurry, I yank, rather than unplug).
I try not to do it any longer.

Morag 08-22-2012 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by RonieM (Post 5456582)
I have been using the same Rowenta iron for over 10 years and have never had a problem with it. I would say your's was probably just a fluke.

Congrats on your blue ribbon!

I agree on the "fluke" and congrats on the award:)

Geri B 08-22-2012 05:09 AM

well this just seems to be another example of cheaply made items....but unfortunately the prices are not reflective of their workmanship..... I would definitely follow up with some agency about the danger in using this product....better business bureau, underwriters lab, consumers report and everyone else I could think of........I wonder if this happenedf to "old" irons??? I don't have any R irons.....GE and B&D are mfgrs of choice for me.......so far so good, but who knows when these will also do something strange.....