Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When is it hoo humid to quilt??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-hoo-humid-quilt-t143424.html)

SueSew 08-07-2011 01:25 PM

It has been so humid and hot, and I have had the windows open (no ac in the quilt room)

I can't lay out and sandwich my son's quilt. It's 56x72 and all batiks, and it is actually mushy, limp and wilted, and so is the batting. Starch and sizing long gone. To make it worse, it is now raining. I just gave up!! I closed the windows and put a space heater on high, and left. Maybe it will dry out by tomorrow. It's like a bad hair day, but for quilts.

Have you ever had the weather wreck your quilting plans?

:cry: :cry: :cry:

LisaGibbs 08-07-2011 01:27 PM

not quilting as I have central air, but I have had them ruin my fabric shopping trips as I refuse to drive in the rain unless I have no other choice and hubby has to drive me. He is great but doesn't understand how I need more fabric with a room full--LOL

Deb watkins 08-07-2011 01:32 PM

Oh, I am right here with you on this one. It is so humid, I have had to put the laundry in the drier!!!! They won't even dry outside despite being there all day. My hands are so sweaty, that I don't dare to do the hand stitching on a new baby quilt. And it is just not right to have to go to the basement (no natural light) when it sunny out today!

quiltingcandy 08-07-2011 01:33 PM

It's too humid when your hand sticks to everything it touches.

lovingmama 08-07-2011 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy
It's too humid when your hand sticks to everything it touches.

:-D Our AC is broke! To hot to quilt!

sueisallaboutquilts 08-07-2011 01:43 PM

I'd give up anything but not my AC- it's the only way I can get anything done.

dellareya 08-07-2011 01:55 PM

I have never lived where there was humidity and after reading your responses I never want to. We are incredibly spoiled with great weather. Rarely to hot and rarely to cold and no snow.

luvstitches 08-07-2011 02:03 PM

I never thought I would say this...I will not complain when summer will be over. This summer has had the highest humidity that I can ever remember. Last summer I was outside for the most part of the day, all summer. This summer I have been inside day after day.
I love autumn.
I do feel for you though. I wouldn't be able to quilt in this had it not been for our AC.

Lori S 08-07-2011 02:09 PM

This is the year I am soo happy I put my sewing room in the basement. Yep the de-humidifier has been running alot but it soo cool ... I don't mind having the iron on.

TanyaL 08-07-2011 02:24 PM

Hey, Dellareya, while you don't have weather extremes you do have the old earthquakes. I was living in Alameda when the last big one hit in the Bay Area. I will take high humidity, drought, hurricane, tornado or anything else to living though an earthquake like that one again. Every area has it's minus points, but for me I'm glad to be back in Texas and we even had a 2.5 here last night.