Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problems with Embroidery - Machine >

Problems with Embroidery - Machine

Problems with Embroidery - Machine

Old 03-10-2016, 01:15 PM

Default Problems with Embroidery - Machine

I have a husqvarna topaz 30. I've never had any serious problems with my machine.

On the weekend I decided to use a really simply design to embroider a border around my quilt. I have never had the problems with my machine that I had with this project.

It jammed constantly, the thread broke. I spent hours trying to unstitch stitches so I could continue. I ended up getting so frustrated and just cutting the whole border off the quilt and shoving it in a drawer - to be revisited another time!

The machine was just serviced - so I know that's not the problem.

I was quilting through the top / batting and bottom, but it was a very thin batting - it was actually sweatshirt material that I bought for $1.55 a metre LOL (it was to be a table cloth, so nothing thick at all).

I tried doing it individually - so just a block of fabric / batting / fabric and had no issues ... but as soon as I had my tablecloth in there (same fabric, etc) it would start with all the problems.

There wasn't too much weight (it's only 40x40 inches) and I had it supported by a table so there was no weight dragging.

I was using the "metal hoop with magnets"...

Does anyone have any ideas what the problems could be? I was so frustrated b/c I was supposed to donate this quilt for easter, and now I have to find another quilt top, hope they like it, and finish that off.

Any ideas / suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks so much
Old 03-10-2016, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

I think it's a support issue. The entire embroidery arm has to be able to move freely. The only way I've been successful is to stand there and hold the entire quilt up and off the arm. It can't be just resting on a table. The arm doesn't have enough strength to pull the entire quilt around, even if it's only a meter square.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:06 PM

OK, I will try that with my next one and see what happens!

Thanks
Old 03-10-2016, 03:19 PM

Marion -- that's a beautiful German Shepherd in your avatar! What's his/her name?
Old 03-10-2016, 03:35 PM

I am thinking you needed a stabiliser on the fabric if it was a sweatshirt fabric without that it will skip and break threads. sorry bout that but without something behind it that is what it will do, at least mine will. An Iron on would work but add a little more stiffness and bulk if it is sandwiched.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:48 PM
Power Poster

I agree that the entire embroidery arm needs to move freely. You might want to make or purchase a suspender system for a project like this. Here's a link to a commercial one, but some people build their own out of PVC:
http://www.jennoop.com/suspenders.html
Old 03-10-2016, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by ctyankee View Post
Marion -- that's a beautiful German Shepherd in your avatar! What's his/her name?
Thanks!! Her name is Kyleigh. She's almost 5 and finally starting to slow down a tad!!
Old 03-11-2016, 05:52 AM

I embroider on my quilts all the time and do NOT NEED a stabilizer. The arm does need to be able to move. I just support the quilt so there is not a drag on the arm. Love your Kyleigh.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:22 AM

if it is a sweatshirt type fabric that the needle goes through, I'd try using a ball point needle, or put a wss stablizer on top and bottom. I always use a stablizer in the hoop when I'm using the embroidery module. It takes the stretch out of fabric. She when you have a big piece of material, there is more stretch than on a smaller piece since it is moving all that fabric around and it pulls on the whole thing. I'd try using a wss on the top and bottom and see if that works. It'll wash out, so the fabric will maintain it's nice feel.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:29 AM

You don't need a stabilizer but I agree to make sure it can move easlily. Also, what needle are you using. That many layers you may need a 90 topstitch. Depending on your backing, if your doing just knits, ball point or stretch needle is a must, if you have cotton backing the 90 should work. Try one of the two to see what is working. Make sure you are setting the stitches correctly on the bottom of your screen for what fabric you are using. I'm assuming its like a Ruby and Diamond and it has that feature. If you hit the help and push on the stitch it'll tell you what each one is for.