Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about cutting mats >

Question about cutting mats

Question about cutting mats

Old 02-07-2009, 05:10 PM

My first mat was a Fiskars - didn't hold up well.

Now I love the Olfa's too. And recently fell for the purple one they have, although it is the same size. Hey, it was part of a package (pretty rotary cutter w/ flowers on it) that was half price...
Old 02-07-2009, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by b.zang
The lady who taught me to quilt told me to buy a green mat - no other. I don't know the difference in quality of others, because I followed her instructions and bought a green mat (Olfa) and have never bought another one. It's holding up perfectly and I've had it about 7 years. The only time it shows any cut line is when I have cut something linty and have jammed fabric lint into the cut but a brushing with one of those body scrub thingys (thanks to a tip on here) and it's good as new. I don't use anything except a rotary cutter on my mat.

Also - these mats regularly go on half-price at the discount fabric shops around here, so it wasn't even expensive.
The other colored mats, especially the white ones, cause the rotary blades to dull a lot faster than the green ones. I'm not sure why but I know all the quilt stores I have been in have said the same thing.

I don't buy Fiskar mats because they seem to wear out faster than the Olfa mats. Also, when the front becomes worn, I simply turn it over and get twice the lifetime out of it. I don't use the lines on the cutting mat to measure my pieces, mostly because those lines are not accurate. If you do use the lines, be sure to place your ruler over it and make sure the lines are evenly printed. If someone is having problems with their piecing not lining up or blocks ending up the wrong size, often times it is because someone used the lines from the cutting mat to measure their units instead of using the ruler. I know this was a major problem for me and boy was I relieved when I took a class and had the instructor set me straight. I measured my mat and darned if the center wasn't almost a quarter of an inch off! :shock: No wonder my blocks wouldn't come out the right size. I have since used my ruler and been so much happier!! Hope this hint helps someone.
Piece ~ Tiffany
Old 02-08-2009, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

I belong to several paid membership online quilt sites and have watched videos of many named quilters say different things about different mats. Some say the June Taylor mats are the best because it is a hard surface mat, the rotary cutter will not cut into it so the blade does not dull as fast. Some say the self healing mats are the only ones to use. Many are raving about the newer mats, the same as industries uses. The mat that is on my Alto Quilt Cut is the best I've ever used. It's cream with gold lines.

http://quiltcut.com/products_cutting_mats.html

Old 02-08-2009, 06:31 AM

I've been using a pink on one side--yellow on the other Fiskers... hmmm.. seems to be working fine.

I tried some green mats before this one--had a heck of a time because they STUNK! I couldn't stand the smell in my house. I hang them from a nail on my sewing room door and it stuck up the kitchen, too! Bah! I wrote the company and asked what I could do--they sent another that smelled just as bad.

I bought this one by smell. :wink:

BellaBoo--I like the looks of that Alto one but it's not in the size I love--23x35. That size fits perfectly on part of my kitchen table.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

I bought this one by smell.
I really like the pretty color mats. They look nice in my sewing room. :D :D :D
Old 02-10-2009, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by barnbum
I've been using a pink on one side--yellow on the other Fiskers... hmmm.. seems to be working fine.

I tried some green mats before this one--had a heck of a time because they STUNK! I couldn't stand the smell in my house. I hang them from a nail on my sewing room door and it stuck up the kitchen, too! Bah! I wrote the company and asked what I could do--they sent another that smelled just as bad.

I bought this one by smell. :wink:

BellaBoo--I like the looks of that Alto one but it's not in the size I love--23x35. That size fits perfectly on part of my kitchen table.
I remember you saying something about your green mat stinking before. It still amazes me! You think when they arrived at the store smelling funny one of the sales clerks would have said, "What the heck!?!" and not sold them. I still shake my head over it. I've never run into a stinky mat before. Hope I never do!