Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question About Marking Tools >

Question About Marking Tools

Question About Marking Tools

Old 01-11-2011, 03:24 PM

This has been an interesting and helpful thread. Appreciate the update and recommendations.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by patdesign
Originally Posted by Ps 150
Well, the verdict is in, mind you--it's really only my opinion, but a few of you asked me to share my results. I went on a shopping spree to buy all sorts of marking pens. I have not tried the frixion....in my smaller town/local small cities there's not a lot of access to those things and the nearest big city is 40 miles away. :? But, I bought the white lead pencils from Fons & Porter and the chalk rollers in white (yellow was the problem maker that led to this post in the first place) and I tried washable markers, chalk liner refills, disappearing markers, mark-b-gone and literally every marking tool on the Joann's quilting notions wall.

Most of them washed out of MOST fabrics but not all (even some of the washable Crayola markers wouldn't come out of the lighter creams). I tried each tool I bought on many different types of fabrics, grades of cotton quality and shades of colors. Two things I've found have washed out of everything: Hela markers and Dove soap slivers (I didn't try other brands of soap). Hela markers are just little sharp tools that leave an indent on the fabric and the indent washes right out without any damage to the fabric or indents left on the back of the quilt. The soap slivers washed right out and were so easy to use. Thankfully, for Christmas I received many Joann's gift cards and I dedicated one of these to getting these marking implements and I did take notes to see which tools seemed to work best on what colors/grades of fabrics so I can still use them but from now on, my primary marking tools will be Hela markers and Dove soap...so much cheaper in the long run! Thanks for all the help and suggestions!
Thank you for the succint update. I purchased the frixion pen at staples after looking every where else, although I havent had the nerve to try it on white, I did take a black pen and mark about 1 inch long on my blue jeans, and with just a touch of the little nib on the bottom of the pen the friction removed the mark completely, I love the purple disappearing ink from prim, but sometimes it disappears before I can even quilt a long line of stitching. It seems they depend on humidity and heat, and down here in Fla so far work like a charm on white fabric. I have never seen the hela markers so will look next Jo Anns trip as I have several 50%coupons upcoming in the next two weeks. :-D
Our Joann's didn't carry them. I had to get my Hela markers from Joann.com but the indents last for at least a few yours, (my eyes are usually too tired to quilt after that much time, :lol: )
Old 01-11-2011, 07:21 PM

What is a pounce pad?
Old 01-11-2011, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz
What is a pounce pad?
They're little pads filled with powder. You dab them over top of a quilting stencil and when you remove the stencil, the design remains. Eleanor Burns did a segment once on quilting and when she covered these, she said you could make your own with cornstarch and a few layers of cheesecloth. I was planning on making one soon. I haven't tried it yet but from everythign I've read, they should work nicely on everything except white fabrics.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:20 PM

I have used several of the washout markers and they worked very well. Just finished a quilt that I used the wash out blue marker. Some of it didn't wash out. Does anyone know how to get it out after it is set?
Old 05-11-2013, 03:53 PM

I have used the frixion pens and don't know about being washable, but I've tried it out on scrap and it irons out beautifully.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:38 PM
yel

i found them at paducha this year ...everywhere