Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question About Marking Tools >

Question About Marking Tools

Question About Marking Tools

Old 12-22-2010, 01:13 PM

I am confused - will the Sewline go away when pressed?
Originally Posted by Somerset Val
Originally Posted by fivepaws
The best marker that I have found is the Sewline ceramic pencil. They are not cheap (for me) but well worth it. There are other ceramic pencils that have hard leads but Sewline is great. Just google it.
These are the ones I was recommending earlier on!
Old 12-22-2010, 01:15 PM

My step-father used to use soap stone a lot for all sorts of uses. I hadn't thought of using it for quilting. I'll ask him to bring some when he comes down for Christmas. He doesn't work with it himself (he handles the business' accounts) but his company is a waste management company and a lot of the workers who do maintenance on the dumpsters use soapstone to mark them so there's boxes of it all over the place there.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ps 150
Originally Posted by georgiat
I think this is the white clover pen.
It is the white Clover pen. I was in Joann's this afternoon and bought it. I also bought the white leads and mechanical pencil that Fons & Porter uses. I have a teacher's discount at Joann's so I was able to get 15% off the total order and used two of my 50% off coupons. I also got the chalk liners (NOT chaco-liner) but other ones. I'm going to work up some quilted samples today and see how they all work together and if any do not wash out.
I bought F&P pencil and white leads on sale at JoAnn's and I really do love it. I picked up some gray leads for lighter colors, but found it didn't wash out quite as easily as the white.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:04 PM

Yolanda - the sewline pencils are not the "iron off" type... you either use the Sewline eraser or you can dab off with a damp cloth.

http://www.sewline-product.com/Sewline_Fabric_Pencil
Old 12-22-2010, 02:24 PM

My Home Ec teacher, who just happened to be my mother, told me that soap works well. I collect those tiny ends of soap - the ones that are pointed - and it works well on anything except very light fabric. A damp cloth erases it immediately.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by LivelyLady
A quilting teacher told us that she uses children's washable markers. Of course, she starches instead of steam ironing and starches the quilt top well so whatever you use, you are marking on the starch and when you wash the quilt the marks come off with the starch. That's the technique I use and it works wonderful. Of course, test a sample on your fabric using starch then marker.
Not all those 'washable' markers are washable. I tested some and they did not wash out.

What works great is a little sliver of soap. You know, those skinny leftover bits of bar soap. And it will wash right out!
Old 12-22-2010, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by yolanda
What kind is this? I would love one.
Originally Posted by JulieM
I use the type that disappears when you pass an iron over it. Works great for me. The color I use (and the only one I use) is white.
JulieM
It's the clover white one. Very fine line and takes a few seconds to show up.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by gale
I read that the frixion (sp??) pens wash out well. I have some but never tried it.
From APQS Quilting Forum:

Pilot FriXion Pens?

A bit of buzz among the local quilters of late. Pilot makes these new pens called FriXion -- erasable ink pens where the ink supposedly disappears with friction -- rubbing with the little eraser on the end. Well, it turns out that the ink also disappears very slickly with a hot iron. They are roller ball gel pens and come in about eight colors -- black, blue, green, red, pink, purple, orange, etc. Supposedly the only way to make the ink reappear is to put the paper (or fabric) into a freezer at 14 degrees. So, I marked some fabric with the black pen. It disappeared when ironed. I put the fabric in the freezer. After about an hour, I could see a bit of a watery line where I had marked. How often do I think I will freeze my quilts? Hmmm, maybe never? I haven't tried washing yet. I've written to Pilot for more info and have the "we got your email" message, but nothing else so far. For now, I think I'll give these a go on my own quilts. Most likely not on my customers'.

Linda
Old 12-22-2010, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by gale
I read that the frixion (sp??) pens wash out well. I have some but never tried it.
Havent been able to find these, where should I look? :D
Old 12-22-2010, 06:50 PM

We got them at Staples.