Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question About Marking Tools >

Question About Marking Tools

Question About Marking Tools

Old 12-22-2010, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by patdesign
Originally Posted by gale
I read that the frixion (sp??) pens wash out well. I have some but never tried it.
Havent been able to find these, where should I look? :D
I found them at Staples. Have not tried them yet.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:58 PM

I like the Sewline mechanical pencil that uses ceramic lead. I only use the white and graphite colors. They will erase or you can spritz it with water and give a little rub to get rid of it. I find that the line is so fine that if I can stay on the line my thread completely covers it.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by gale
Originally Posted by Willie Mae
The best pen I found that works is the Frixion made by Pilot, it disapear like magic when you put a hot iron on it. You can get them at Office Max or Walgreens. I found them once at Wal Mart, but can't fine them any more. I been looking for a white one but no luck as of yet. They come in blue, black, red, orange, and pink. You can also get them of the internet, just google Frixion. Hopes this helps. I messed up one of my quilts because I couldn't get red markings out.
Has anyone used these long enough to verify that the marks stay gone? The blue markers I used to use would disappear completely with water but would reappear lightly sometimes and not go away again.

I was just reading about the Frixion on a site and here is part of a statement from them.
"How does it work? Metamocolor technology! 'Metamocolor' is a word entirely made up by Pilot marketing people, but basically it's a type of thermo-reactive ink. The heat generated by the friction causes the ink to become translucent (at 65°C fact-hounds!). Stick it in the freezer (-20°C) and your scribblings will re-appear - albeit slightly faded."
Old 12-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Banned

I use plain white chalk - yes like we used in school on the chalkboard. Or a Clover white chalk pencil. I like paying .79 for the box of chalk as opposed to 3 or 4 bucks for the pencil. I have even been known to sharpen my chalk.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel
Originally Posted by JulieM
I use the type that disappears when you pass an iron over it. Works great for me. The color I use (and the only one I use) is white.
JulieM
This is my favorite also. Its made by Clover.
I have this pen. It's a bic and I got it at our grocery store, Giant Eagle. Package of 2 for 2.99. Works great!
Old 12-27-2010, 02:59 AM

Tissue paper.For a table runner I did I used tissue paper to guide me on the border (wanted Christmas lights). Just cut it to the width of my border, layered the tissue, then used a Sharpie to trace around the template of a light & base I had cut out. Used my little glue stick to adhere it to my runner, then machine quilted. Pulled off easy & looks great. Don't think I'd use it on a larger project
Old 12-27-2010, 05:03 AM

I think I will have to try the FriXion pens from Staples. What colors do you recommend for light and dark material?
Old 01-09-2011, 03:49 PM

I've found most marking tools to be frustrating to see on my fabric because I'm visually impaired. The only thing I've found that works (after testing each fabric first) is crayola washable markers. I've tried every color on all kinds of fabric and haven't been disappointed yet. The darks show up on the lights and I use white chalk on the darks. Everything has washed out so far. I couldn't be happier.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:14 AM

Well, the verdict is in, mind you--it's really only my opinion, but a few of you asked me to share my results. I went on a shopping spree to buy all sorts of marking pens. I have not tried the frixion....in my smaller town/local small cities there's not a lot of access to those things and the nearest big city is 40 miles away. :? But, I bought the white lead pencils from Fons & Porter and the chalk rollers in white (yellow was the problem maker that led to this post in the first place) and I tried washable markers, chalk liner refills, disappearing markers, mark-b-gone and literally every marking tool on the Joann's quilting notions wall.

Most of them washed out of MOST fabrics but not all (even some of the washable Crayola markers wouldn't come out of the lighter creams). I tried each tool I bought on many different types of fabrics, grades of cotton quality and shades of colors. Two things I've found have washed out of everything: Hela markers and Dove soap slivers (I didn't try other brands of soap). Hela markers are just little sharp tools that leave an indent on the fabric and the indent washes right out without any damage to the fabric or indents left on the back of the quilt. The soap slivers washed right out and were so easy to use. Thankfully, for Christmas I received many Joann's gift cards and I dedicated one of these to getting these marking implements and I did take notes to see which tools seemed to work best on what colors/grades of fabrics so I can still use them but from now on, my primary marking tools will be Hela markers and Dove soap...so much cheaper in the long run! Thanks for all the help and suggestions!
Old 01-11-2011, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ps 150
Well, the verdict is in, mind you--it's really only my opinion, but a few of you asked me to share my results. I went on a shopping spree to buy all sorts of marking pens. I have not tried the frixion....in my smaller town/local small cities there's not a lot of access to those things and the nearest big city is 40 miles away. :? But, I bought the white lead pencils from Fons & Porter and the chalk rollers in white (yellow was the problem maker that led to this post in the first place) and I tried washable markers, chalk liner refills, disappearing markers, mark-b-gone and literally every marking tool on the Joann's quilting notions wall.

Most of them washed out of MOST fabrics but not all (even some of the washable Crayola markers wouldn't come out of the lighter creams). I tried each tool I bought on many different types of fabrics, grades of cotton quality and shades of colors. Two things I've found have washed out of everything: Hela markers and Dove soap slivers (I didn't try other brands of soap). Hela markers are just little sharp tools that leave an indent on the fabric and the indent washes right out without any damage to the fabric or indents left on the back of the quilt. The soap slivers washed right out and were so easy to use. Thankfully, for Christmas I received many Joann's gift cards and I dedicated one of these to getting these marking implements and I did take notes to see which tools seemed to work best on what colors/grades of fabrics so I can still use them but from now on, my primary marking tools will be Hela markers and Dove soap...so much cheaper in the long run! Thanks for all the help and suggestions!
Thank you for the succint update. I purchased the frixion pen at staples after looking every where else, although I havent had the nerve to try it on white, I did take a black pen and mark about 1 inch long on my blue jeans, and with just a touch of the little nib on the bottom of the pen the friction removed the mark completely, I love the purple disappearing ink from prim, but sometimes it disappears before I can even quilt a long line of stitching. It seems they depend on humidity and heat, and down here in Fla so far work like a charm on white fabric. I have never seen the hela markers so will look next Jo Anns trip as I have several 50%coupons upcoming in the next two weeks. :-D