Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about Missouri Star Quilt Company >

Question about Missouri Star Quilt Company

Question about Missouri Star Quilt Company

Old 06-17-2016, 05:57 AM

Default Question about Missouri Star Quilt Company

I received a grand re-opening promotional email that stated 'Our 13 quilt shops are primped, polished, and freshly stocked . . .'

It made me curious about their set-up. Do they really have 13 shops? Is it because as they expanded they took over empty shops next to their original building? Do the different shops carry different sorts of fabric? I enjoy shopping there on-line but will probably never make it to the store in person.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:10 AM

American patchwork & quilting magazine august 2016 issue 141 pg 16 -22 had a wonderful write up about her called, "Behind the scenes with Jenny Doan", It showed her setup, the town, her children how she got started. It was wonderful. Look it up, buy the issue, and enjoy the article. I sure did.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:40 AM

More info about Hamilton, MO and MQS

http://www.npr.org/2015/05/21/408452...ith-yes-quilts

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Missouri.html
Old 06-17-2016, 07:31 AM

I have been to her stores in Hamilton. It's been a couple years, though. They have taken over and remodeled many empty buildings on the main street of the town. I'd say they are within a two-block length. Each shop has its own specialty fabric; one shop for batiks, one for reproductions, one for "solids", etc. They also have a Retreat center that I have not seen. Cute little town definitely changed and put on the map by Jenny and her family.

Linda in Missouri
Old 06-17-2016, 07:36 AM

Thank you for the info, Jane Quilter and thrums. I will definitely get a copy of the magazine. What a wonderful success story!! I wish I lived in Hamilton, LOL.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

That is interesting. Rosie's Calico quilt shop kept expanding into 4 or 5 shops in a strip mall down in the San Diego area.

Last edited by ManiacQuilter2; 06-17-2016 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:30 PM

Yup--she has 13 shops in roughly a 2 block area--some are connected to make it easier to go from one to the other. Besides the fabric shops, there's a machine shop, a long arm quilting shop (think you can rent time on the machines but not sure about that) a "man's space" with recliners and tvs, a retreat center. I haven't been up since they added an all floral shop and the updated main shop so excited to go--my quilt buddies and I go about every 6-8 months--take a list of stuff you are looking for--otherwise it's too easy to get into total impulse buying! I'm excited that they apparently re-did the sidewalks when they updated the main shop---it's an old downtown and needed that. Really nice people and lots of young people working in the shops, too--a former co-worker is a Hamilton born & raised and said that MSQS has breathed new life into the town and the area.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:55 PM

Search for: BYUTV Turning Point Show and search for the Missouri Star Quilt Company show. It's a really good story about the MSQ and how it got started.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:14 PM

The Crafty Gemini (Vanessa Vargas Wilson) has a great YouTube of the different shops that Missouri Star Quilt Company has turned into Quilts Shops on the main street in Hamilton, Missouri. It's a real success story.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...C4CF&FORM=VIRE

I think she did the video of this in Sept. 2015 so I know there have been more changes & more store fronts changed since that time but it gives you a view of what Jenny Doan & her staff have done for Hamilton, Missouri.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:35 AM

From Canada-Manitoba, Missouri must have had changes because we can buy their products without paying shipping costs out here now, since about say 1yr now.. Which is wonderful..