Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: question about a treadle sewing machine

Is a treadle sewing machine where you set your feet on a plate and rock them forward and back to make it sew?
    I have an opportunity to purchase one but I was looking to find an electric one.
    Thanks

for some reason it won't let me attach a photo

ok, got it now.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

i have a chance to own a franklin treadle and its free to me couse its at my grandmas house. i have seen where they can be converted to electric by adding a motor to them. so ill bet if you got the one you are looking at and wanted to convert to electric it can be done. if i get mine im keeping it a treadle. Chris

it would take 3.5 hours to go get it but the person only wants $35.

Banned
    how cool is that!!

you'd be able to get a cardio workout and sew a quilt at the same time :lol:

you could have the best legs in town.

Quote Originally Posted by crkathleen
    Is a treadle sewing machine where you set your feet on a plate and rock them forward and back to make it sew?
    Yes. So if you want a standard every day electric sewing machine, that's probably not what you want.

It's a lovely machine, and personally I would jump at it for $35 if it's in good working order, but I like having 'non-electric backups'. I'm keeping an eye out for one near me.

Jan

My older sisters learned to sew on a treadle machine. My aunts till has hers and I tried to buy it from her, but she wouldn't budge. I got one at an auction, but mine needs some things on it. At $35 I would do the traveling to get it!!

Good luck,
    Barb

My grandmothers treadle was converted to electric, Be warned it weighs a ton so lugging it around is not an option. I also have a treadle and want to keep it that way. I can have my grandmothers machine as it is in my mom's posession and she has said she wants me to have it, I just don't have room for another machine.

There was an article in 1 of the quilting mags about a lady who pieces and quilts all her quilts with a treadle. She has several! Don't remember which magazine.

I learned to sew on my grandmothers, still have it too. It needs some work tho, hopefully just oiling and a new belt. I say go for it! They are good basic machines with a wonderful straight stitch.

There is a site - treadleon.net - I think. They're not just for power outages....after all I still need light when I sew!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast