Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Question on quilting frames

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA
    Posts
    12,755
    I saw a picture today for a big squareish frame (Joanns.com) for quilting and told hubby I'd love to have one for when I tie my quilts. Does anyone do it this way? I know many of you don't tie., but its got my curiousity going. Any pics of a quilt being tied using one? If this is something I decide on, I'll check Freecycle in my area. Thanks for anyones input

  2. #2
    Power Poster MamaBear61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Milverton, ON, Canada
    Posts
    13,236
    I have tied quilts using my Gracie hand quilting frame and it works great keeps everything in place and allows me to reach under the quilt without moving everything. I used to pin them and do them on the table but I found that when I went under the quilt to bring the tie back up I was afaid of not keeping everything flat, so I had to use lots of pins to hold everything in place.

  3. #3
    Senior Member humbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    887
    I tie quilts frequently. I do use a frame. Homemade PVC pipe that DH made for me. It was fashioned after a PVC pipe frame that we saw in a magazine, but he made it not quite so deep. I do pin bast before tying. I think you would like it better than on a table.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA
    Posts
    12,755
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaBear61
    I have tied quilts using my Gracie hand quilting frame and it works great keeps everything in place and allows me to reach under the quilt without moving everything. I used to pin them and do them on the table but I found that when I went under the quilt to bring the tie back up I was afaid of not keeping everything flat, so I had to use lots of pins to hold everything in place.
    oh wow. ok this is sounding good. thanks dearheart

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA
    Posts
    12,755
    Quote Originally Posted by humbird
    I tie quilts frequently. I do use a frame. Homemade PVC pipe that DH made for me. It was fashioned after a PVC pipe frame that we saw in a magazine, but he made it not quite so deep. I do pin bast before tying. I think you would like it better than on a table.
    thanks for your input. i really appreciate it

  6. #6
    Senior Member quilting memaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Spokane, Washington
    Posts
    381
    you can have hubby make one of wood. All it is - is a stretcher for quilts. As you tie you roll the quilt until you get down to the other end. Top and bottom of quilt is pinned then pin the sides. It will be stretched and then tie. We do it all the time at where I volunteer.

  7. #7
    Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,541
    Four 2X4s work. Clamps on the corners. Rest the corners on the back of kitchen chairs. Thumbtack the back down. Lay on the batting then the top. Pin away. Or baste.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA
    Posts
    12,755
    Quote Originally Posted by quilting memaw
    you can have hubby make one of wood. All it is - is a stretcher for quilts. As you tie you roll the quilt until you get down to the other end. Top and bottom of quilt is pinned then pin the sides. It will be stretched and then tie. We do it all the time at where I volunteer.
    hun, my hubby is not good at that kind of stuff sad to say.

  9. #9
    Senior Member quilting memaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Spokane, Washington
    Posts
    381
    it's like the other one said. 2x4's and the stand like this or something to make it stable. The cut and staple fabric to all sides of the 2x4's (tops). Then stretch it out.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA
    Posts
    12,755
    [quote=quilting memaw]it's like the other one said. 2x4's and the stand like this or something to make it stable. The cut and staple fabric to all sides of the 2x4's (tops). Then stretch it out.[/quote


    so cool. thanks for showing/telling me

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.