Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question >

Question

Question

Old 10-02-2013, 05:51 AM

Default Question

Does anyone have a little verse, poem, saying that they use when they give away quilts so the recipient knows they are to be used and washed and used. I gave my niece a baby quilt several years ago for her first baby, she is expecting another so I made another one plus one for her (her mother died recently). When we were talking I made it clear that they are intended to be used and she was shocked that she wasn't supposed to keep it pristine and unused. I wonder how many more I have given away that they have tucked away for fear of harming. My daughter has one that they were afraid to put on the ground to sit on without my permission. I told her to go for it, use it anyway you want to.It never occured to me that anyone considered it a piece of art to be put safely away. Any suggestions?
Old 10-02-2013, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

My niece used the one I gave her for her baby 8 years ago. That quilt was used for everything, even a whelping bed. The only problem was they never washed it. I told them to hose it down outside first. Let it air out. See if it still held up. Then they put it into the washer on a full load with hot water and arm and hammer laundry soap. They did this about 3 times. It washed out great! They hung it out to dry with the sunshine and the fresh air. They no longer have furbabies. Apt mgmt. wont' allow pets and they are actually ok with that because of vet costs and not fair to the furbabies. Great how things can turn out.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:17 AM

instead of putting it on the label, perhaps just include a little card expressing your wishes.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:26 AM

Not sure why people don't use their quilts but I know several. Me, I use them no matter how old. My grandkids love them and when they stay with me each has their pick of which one they get to sleep under. They even take some of them camping ( in a tent). I have a large load washer and I just throw them in with a few towels and wash. Never had a problem. For me I make them with love and want them to be used and remembered why they were made. I do have one used as a wall hanging I doubt I would ever use as a blanket. It is a applique of a horse and is quilted heavily so don't believe it would be that warm to use as a blanket. Besides it is only 5 ft x 5 ft so won't cover much!lol
Old 10-02-2013, 09:52 AM
Power Poster

I would much rather have those who know me use my quilts up than have someone in the future wonder where this unused quilted thing in the attic came from. But I would still prefer they took care of them, rather than expect me to replace them after the dog chews them up.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:05 PM

I love to see my quilts being used but not abused. I was talking to a cousin in England the other night and she told me that the quilts I made for her twin granddaughters are still being used by them 8 years later and have not lost any colour. I was thrilled to hear this.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:04 AM

When I hand out a new quilt to someone, I always wash it first, that way there are no surprises in the wash and it has a nice soft wrinkly look already. I tell them, please use this quilt up so I can make more. If it gets put in a closet, I can't make them another one. So far, most are being used.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:41 AM

I give all of my quilt recipients the "spaghetti sauce talk". I tell them the quilt should be used and not on a shelf... sometimes I get the "its so beautiful , I don't want to have anything happen to it" response. At which point they get "the spaghetti sauce talk"... it goes like this ... "if it too beautiful.. I will be more than happy to dump a quart of spaghetti sauce on it .. so now its not as good and you will use it". That always gets my point across.
I follow up with I would rather it be "consumed and used " in my lifetime , rather than a generation that never knew me find it on a shelf and discard it. I also tell them if at any time they find its not to their taste they can exchange it for another.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:47 AM

Here is what I put on the label for baby quilts I made for my twin great nieces:
It's Your Quilt by Nancy Riddell
It's OK if you sit on your quilt.
It's OK if your bottle gets spilt.
If you swallow some air
and you burp, don't despair;
It's OK if you spit on your quilt.
There are scraps old and new on your quilt.
Put together for you on your quilt.
If your gums feel numb
'Cause your teeth haven't come,
It's OK if you chew on your quilt.
We expect you to lie on your quilt.
If you hurt, you may cry on your quilt.
On a cold rainy night,
Don't you fret; you're all right.
You'll be snug, warm and dry on your quilt.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by PAMAR View Post
Here is what I put on the label for baby quilts I made for my twin great nieces:
It's Your Quilt by Nancy Riddell
It's OK if you sit on your quilt.
It's OK if your bottle gets spilt.
If you swallow some air
and you burp, don't despair;
It's OK if you spit on your quilt.
There are scraps old and new on your quilt.
Put together for you on your quilt.
If your gums feel numb
'Cause your teeth haven't come,
It's OK if you chew on your quilt.
We expect you to lie on your quilt.
If you hurt, you may cry on your quilt.
On a cold rainy night,
Don't you fret; you're all right.
You'll be snug, warm and dry on your quilt.
I've had this poem for years and did not know who wrote it...Thank you for posting. Now when I use it on my baby quilts I can give rights to the owner.