Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Question that's been bugging me...

Question that's been bugging me...

I have one of those cushioned ironing pads... I use it alot when I'm pressing blocks instead of going to the utility room. Because of that, and I use starch consistently, the top of that ironing pad is Y U C K Y. so my question is how in the world do I clean it and get the starchy-oversprayed-dried-yucky-layer off of this?
    I actually thought of tossing it and buying a new one simply because it looks bad... suggestions please?

Could you take it outside and shake the daylights out of it, and then wash it with a bunch of bath towels? Then hang it dry?

Mine was like that also and just the other day I took the cover off and tossed it. This is my ironing board I am talking about so i will take some other fabric and make a new cover. I make a hem and leave it open a couple inches and put some small rope or twine in the casing and put it one the board and pull as tight as I can and tie in a knot. the covers at the store are not very good and they are expensive. Good luck to you.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

I have a piece of Plywood, I cover with batting and old sheets, that I place on top my ironing board, when Im sewing. I like the firmer surface for pressing blocks. when it gets yucky, I take it off and start over.

That's what I do, too. DH made me a board with bracing underneath so it won't slide around on top of my ironing board. Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
    I have a piece of Plywood, I cover with batting and old sheets, that I place on top my ironing board, when Im sewing. I like the firmer surface for pressing blocks. when it gets yucky, I take it off and start over.

I bought one of those small square ironing mats, I think June Tailor, at JoAnn's with 60% off coupon. It also has the cutting board on the reverse side. Really neat thing and I use it all the time. I noticed when I first started using it that it was getting some starch on the surface. Now I keep towel over it and change that every few days. Really keeps the top clean.
    Kitsy

Quote Originally Posted by kitsykeel View Post
    I bought one of those small square ironing mats, I think June Tailor, at JoAnn's with 60% off coupon. It also has the cutting board on the reverse side. Really neat thing and I use it all the time. I noticed when I first started using it that it was getting some starch on the surface. Now I keep towel over it and change that every few days. Really keeps the top clean.
    I have one of these and when it got funky I just put it under to running water and scrubed with a brush and some dish soap then rinsed it well, it came out like brand new and didn't hurt the cutting board side at all.

I make my own ironing board covers all the time and also the one for the big board I made. I don't do a lot of starching so they don't get too bad.

Blog Entries
    An old sheet or dare I say it a piece of fabric you purchased bu don't like or it is the wrong sort cover my ironing areas. Wrong sort could be poly, or heavy curtain fabrics etc.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I take an old sheet (double) and fold in quarters. Then stitch around the edges, so it comes out 1piece. Then I use it over my ironing board when I iron and spray starch. it can be flipped over to extend the use and when "yucky" - I throw it in the washer & dryer.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast