Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question that's been bugging me... >

Question that's been bugging me...

Question that's been bugging me...

Old 01-27-2013, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

I have a Steady Betty and I hand wash it and let it air dry.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:19 PM

I saw (somewhere) a little ironing table made from a wooden tv tray. I used some dark polished chintz that someone gave me and layered cotton batting and Insubrite and covered the top of it. Just lay the fabric face down, then the "fluffy" layer and turn the tv tray upside down on it. Use upholstery tacks to fasten the folded edges of the fabric to the underside of the tray. When the top gets yucky, I just pull out the tacks and redo the top. Super easy, cute and most handy by my machine.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Yooper32 View Post
I just use a good quality dish towel on my ironing board and when it gets too "boardy", I toss it in the washer.
I do this also! I can fold the "flour sack" type dish towel and hang it under my ironing board when I don't need it. It really helps keep the ironing board cover looking great!
Old 01-28-2013, 01:44 AM

Just buy a cheap light weight plastic table pad or white/light tablecloth and spread it out on your ironing board, table or wherever and spray away. All you need to do is wipe it off with a damp cloth or throw it in your washer on the rinse cycle, let it dry, roll it up and you're ready for the next round.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Pauly43 View Post
I take an old sheet (double) and fold in quarters. Then stitch around the edges, so it comes out 1piece. Then I use it over my ironing board when I iron and spray starch. it can be flipped over to extend the use and when "yucky" - I throw it in the washer & dryer.
Brilliant idea - thanks so much!
Old 01-28-2013, 10:55 AM

I cover mine in muslin ... Haven't tried washing the original. It's a board I bought way back when for pin weaving ... remember that ladies? It has wonderful gridded fabric but the back is a single layer of fabric and feels like there's some kind of board in there so I don't want to risk warping anything.

I cover my ironing board in muslin too. I'm lazy so I just safety pin it to the original cover and when it gets dirty I unpin and pin on a clean one while the dirty one goes in the wash.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:32 AM

What a ton of grand suggestions! Thanks everyone for all the great tips and ideas. The ironing cushion is a Tailor (Taylor?) made - with the grid and some type of board inside - I have nothing to lose by trying to scrub it clean with a damp rag, brush and some elbow grease. IF I get it clean, I will do something for a removable washable cover. I have ordered me another one in case I don't succeed or cause other damage. My ironing board cover is in great shape - I try to use it and its iron for clothing... plus it's at the other end of the house lol. I do get up to press today but I don't want to go to the other end of the house every time ... Thanks again.