Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions about hanging a quilted item >

Questions about hanging a quilted item

Questions about hanging a quilted item

Old 08-18-2015, 05:18 AM

Default Questions about hanging a quilted item

I am making for my daughter (who teaches 8th grade algebra) a quilted type wall hanging. This one will have 30 "pockets" to hold small calculators and a hanging sleeve. I am wondering if it will hang flat against the wall or will it ripple? What can I do during construction to help it to hang flat? The overall size will be 30"x30", so not very big. Any help here is appreciated
Old 08-18-2015, 05:36 AM

I had thought about this at one time myself. Considered putting little triangles on the back corners where I could insert dowels across the top and bottom. You would have to cut the dowel to size to keep the top and bottom stretched where they would not buckle in. I am not sure if this would do the trick but in my little mind it works.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:40 AM

I'd try to make the pockets as snug as possible without losing function. The less they flop forward when full, the better the quilt will hang. You might also add a narrow sleeve along the bottom for a stabilizing rod (which could also be hooked to the wall if necessary). Sounds like a great project and we need to see pictures when it's done.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

I would add a close fitting sleeve for a dowel to the bottom of the quilt. Be sure to make the hanging mechanism very sturdy (both on the wall and on the quilt) as the combination of weight plus moving stuff in and out of pockets will be stressful. As stated above, don't have too much slack in the pockets. OH, and reinforce the top corners of the pockets very well. Personally, I would use rivets. I make a lot of bags and use these. Very inexpensive and the attaching tool is inexpensive too! Here's a good tutorial.
http://u-handbag.typepad.com/uhandbl...al-rivets.html
With quilting cottons, you don't need the punch, just a tailor's (or woodworking) awl to make the hole.
Please post a photo!!!

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 08-18-2015 at 06:14 AM.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:30 AM

If you use a sleeve on top, there should be a slight gap (a small pleat at the bottom of the sleeve) between the sleeve and the back of the quilt to make room for the dowel. If the sleeve is flat on the quilt, the rod will push out on the front. You could also make hanging tabs that are above the quilt for the dowel rod to slide through. The dowel rod could be attached in some way to the outside tabs so that it is stretched slightly. I am using cjsews triangles to hang an American Beauty wall hanging which is set on point. There will be two rods going across the back at different heights and one going the length (so the bottom doesn't flop around).
Old 08-18-2015, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

Might ripple due to the weight of the 30 calculators.