Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions about Shashiko stitching >

Questions about Shashiko stitching

Questions about Shashiko stitching

Old 05-23-2013, 07:23 AM
JLe

I have done some, and you will have to try a sample to see. Indigo and white is traditional, but if you want a different colour, why not? I've also done it on the machine as a' quilt as you go'... Use invisible thread on top and a heavier bobbin, working from the back and through a paper pattern.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Helen6869 View Post
Do you have to use the blue and white? Anyone who has done this, also wondering if it would be easier that handqulting due to the size of the stitches. I love the handwork but can't do small stuff anymore. Thanks again!
The title should have said sashiko "is" the correct word. not awake good yet!
I've seen beautiful sashiko in red and black - you can do what you want if it is your project. There are special sashiko thimbles that you should use. They make the work much easier. You can get traceable patterns and transfers if you find drawing the designs difficult. All the best with it.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:19 PM

Thank you for the sites. They are very helpful!
Old 05-23-2013, 04:39 PM

My husband's Grandma died 6 mos after we were married, and I inherited her quilts, in various stages of being sewn.
There were a bunch of hand quilted maple leaf blocks, with a graph chart she drew of how she was planing on putting them together. We've been married 31 years, but I only tackled this quilt a year ago, mostly because I am Not a hand quilter, and like I said, these were all pieced together by hand. To me, they deserved to be handquilted.

I guess it took this many years for me to discover what I called 'Big Stitch' quilting. I just outlined each leaf shape, and used various fall colors.
Not perfect, maybe not even worth being on the same quilt as her hand stitching, but it's done now, and certainly worth having it's photo taken. It's just going in the 'quilt cupboard, with a short note of its history, for my kids when I'm gone
I'm also going to frame the chart and stick that with it too
Attached Thumbnails image2.jpg   image14.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-15-2019 at 04:23 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 05-23-2013, 06:37 PM

I purchased a piece of navy blue poly/cotton fabric, used white Perle #5 DMC cotton thread, drew a pattern using the base of a small wine glass, making certain the outside edges touched on four side of the previous drawn base of the glass - keeping it in a straight line, and that is how I started this 15" square. Once I am finished it, I will make a circle around the square making a case to hold a ribbon as a draw string with the ribbon being pulled tog. on the outside of this bag, and will line it with another patterned fabric, and will give away for Xmas. I find that its' a great way to practice learning something new. Here is a picture of the one I'm just learning to do - this is my first attempt.[ATTACH=CONFIG]415132[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails sashiko-made-pattern-using-wine-glass-bottom.jpg   tn_sashiko-made-pattern-using-wine-glass-bottom.jpg  
Attached Files
Old 08-25-2019, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

just found a nine year old quilters world magazine. happened to go online for full size design and found it!!
https://www.quiltersworld.com/webbon...2_Sayagata.pdf
just be sure to print at 100%. it did that for me but I went back and printed one more page after making sure. it was the same. so should print out fine for a pillow. Oct 2010 magazine.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Helen6869 View Post
I was looking for a hand sewn look that would be easier on my hands that hand quilting but after watching these videos etc. I think Sashiko is still quite difficult to sew and have it look like it should. I do like the look of the Baby Lock Sashiko machine though. That might be the way to go. Not hand sewing but the same look. Thanks for all who took time to answer and offer me some info about this. It is a truly beautiful way to decorate a piece of fabric. Thanks!
I loved the look so I bought the Sashiko Babylock a no. of yrs ago and love it...It only uses a bobbin thread and a hook and needle system...Very unique and looks exactly like hand stitching...You can select several diff stitch sizes and space between each Everyone I show it to thinks I did it.
Well worth the money to purchase one and save your hands.

Last edited by hobbykat1955; 08-26-2019 at 04:06 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:37 AM

There are lots of videos on doing this by hand and machine
Old 08-26-2019, 06:23 AM

I also bought the Sashiko machine a little over a year ago and I love mine, too, especially for tablerunners, accent strips on pillowcases, and other small projects. That machine is so unique it is beyond cool.