Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions from a first time quilter - sweater quilt. >

Questions from a first time quilter - sweater quilt.

Questions from a first time quilter - sweater quilt.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:56 AM

Ok this is probably going to sound crazy and i'm not an experienced quilted. But I was thinking about the wool squares with a center circle cut out and the matching shirt neck/collar portion coming up through the circle cut out in the center of the square and applique that shirt collar down onto the wool square for a block. Does that make any since? Then fill in behind that opening with matching shirt material.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:34 PM

Zinna posted a thread...Lots of freebies to keep you busy look at that site. http://www.lecien.co.jp/en/hobby/patterns/index.html You will see a pattern of a cut out shaped like a shirt with a collar on it. I think that would be kindof neat and much easier to do then my previous post.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:06 PM

Thank you so much for all of the responses! I am taking it all in, I promise! I'm definitely going with quilts over pillows, it's just what feels right.. But I've given myself until Christmas 2014 to have them ready... and longer if need be! I will be practicing and researching my heart out for the next little while. I do have one friend who is an avid quilter, but I don't think there are any guilds in the area. I will check into it though!

Thanks again everyone, what a warm welcome to the world of quilting!
Old 10-28-2013, 07:31 AM

I love your idea. I have never made a quilt with a sweater, but have made a lot of sentimental quilts that have special meaning. Those are my favorites. Good luck in your efforts. I would love to see what you come up with. Have you looked at Pinterest? I searched "items made from old wool sweaters" "quilts made from old wool sweaters" and found "homemade wool sweater blanket". Lots of great ideas.

Last edited by patmadrid; 10-28-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:10 AM

Hi Lori,

I'm working on a quilt made of my mom's sweaters and blogged about it. My posts are the result of lots of online research into sweater quilts and the steps, supplies and methods that made the most sense to me. Below is the link to the first installment. Best of luck!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-05-2015 at 06:47 AM. Reason: PM