Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A questions for hand quilters >

A questions for hand quilters

A questions for hand quilters

Old 12-23-2015, 09:20 AM
Power Poster

​I have a QSnap floor frame that lets me sit underneath it on a comfortable chair.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:57 AM

In order to fix the puckered areas, I believe you would have to take out quite a bit of your quilting, especially if there is excess fabric in that area. If the puckered areas are near the edges, it will be much easier to take out a small area and requilt, pushing the excess fabric to the edge. Can you tell if the puckering has occurred because of excess fabric or that the fabric is shifted? Depending on the purpose of the quilt and how bad it is, it might be best to leave it and learn from the experience. When the quilt is washed, it might not be so noticeable.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Genden View Post
In order to fix the puckered areas, I believe you would have to take out quite a bit of your quilting, especially if there is excess fabric in that area. If the puckered areas are near the edges, it will be much easier to take out a small area and requilt, pushing the excess fabric to the edge. Can you tell if the puckering has occurred because of excess fabric or that the fabric is shifted? Depending on the purpose of the quilt and how bad it is, it might be best to leave it and learn from the experience. When the quilt is washed, it might not be so noticeable.

I think the puckering has occurred because of shifting. When I finished sandwiching the quilt, the backing was very smooth under the spray basting and pins. Some places are worse than others. There are a couple of places where it is very noticeable. Ugh, so disappointed right now with it.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:48 PM
Power Poster

I've been quilting since I was 7, never knew of the rules. back then I just did pillows and a quilt for my new baby sister. I never had a hoop, so I just baste very well and go from there. I tape the backing down, add the batt and top and baste. good luck on your quilt. you may just have to live with it.
Old 12-24-2015, 03:22 AM

I am so sorry that you're disappointed. I think the problem - as others have mentioned - is that thread basting would do a better job of holding your layers together. It is also important to check the back of your quilt as much as the front.

if you ever try the frame/hoop again, I have a hoop that I travel w/ and i will balance the hoop on the back of another chair. That allows me to get my hand underneath to feel how things are doing.

I understand your frustration, you can take the time to fix it (i'm kinda OCD about this and would probably have to do that), you can save it as your first project as a reminder of how far you will go as you complete other projects.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by pahega View Post
I am fairly new to hand quilting--doing only small wall hanging projects. But I just finished hand quilting most of a twin sized quilt. I don't have a frame and really don't want to get one, and I found a hoop to be so cumbersome. So when I sandwich my quilt, I spray baste and pin and use nothing to hand quilt. On this larger quilt, I have found some areas on the backing that have puckered and not laying smoothly because of not being held tight in a hoop or frame. Now I need to figure out how to fix those areas. Any suggestions? Do you hand quilters use a hoop, a frame, or nothing? Do you not find hoops or frames hard to work with?
I use a chunk of metal on top of my sandwich to get the little bit of tension I need where I need it. I also use school glue to hold the sandwich together for quilting.

Last edited by applique; 12-24-2015 at 05:38 AM.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:49 AM

I agree with several of the others that in order to fix the puckering on the back you would have to take out stitching and readjust the layers. It really depends on how bad it is. I have hand quilted for many years and in my younger days I used several hoops of various sizes and shapes but I always come back to my smaller ones because they are more comfortable to use. I think the comfort factor helps me keep my layers taught where I need them so I'm not wrangling the quilt for better positions. If it were me, I might leave it as is (if I were keeping it for myself that is). Nobody's perfect and I never produce a quilt without a flaw of some kind. It's all in what you can live with I guess. I bet when it's washed it will pucker nice all over and it will hardly even be noticeable.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:53 AM

I've never used a frame. I have 1, but cant get my self to use it. Any how I use a 14''-16'' hoop. Of all of the yrs(30) I always used a hoop.. When I put my quilt in the hoop, I make sure the top and bottom are smooth. I pull the quilt on top in all directions, and on the bottom/backing, I pull in all directions. Seems to work for me fine.
Old 12-25-2015, 04:48 AM

I use a 14" round hoop and love that I can put it in my lap, propped against a card table, turn to best advantage for my hands/wrists. I use safety pins to baste the layers together and not exceptionally close. Start in the center and work out, keeping in mind grain of fabric to reduce bias stretching. Can feel if there's a pucker underneath and readjust the pins. As to your present piece, if the puckers aren't severe and it's for your own use, don't fret over it. Like another mentioned, it will remind you how far you've come. You'll never notice the puckers while sleeping beneath it!
Old 12-25-2015, 05:34 AM

I use a small rectangular frame so I can sit back and relax while I quilt. I have tried not using a frame and I get puckers when I don't. I always work from the center out but sometimes I get carried away with a quilt design and go to far on one side or something like that and I have a pucker so have to take out stitches. I wish I could quilt without a frame.