Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt for dining room table? >

Quilt for dining room table?

Quilt for dining room table?

Old 02-12-2016, 06:41 AM

I have a 9 patch that I use on my oval kitchen table. I used scotch-gard to protect it and backed it with flannel so it wouldn't be to thick or slide. I love it and use it everyday it washes up just fine. If I did get a spot of grease or other foods that stained I would treat it with Clorox Power stain remover and rewash it. You could also cover it with a plastic clear table cover. Good luck.
Mia
Old 02-12-2016, 07:12 AM

Here's a link to Pinterest of her pictures. https://www.pinterest.com/source/mia....blogspot.com/

Wow, what fun looking at these pictures!!
Old 02-12-2016, 11:16 AM

Wow, what a great idea to use a quilt on your table! I have a small topper that I use on my kitchen table (no dining room, so only one table in my house). But, I also have a quilt top waiting to be finished that would be perfect in my kitchen, and I never thought of that idea... it gives me incentive to finish that one now... it will be next on the list!
Old 02-12-2016, 01:37 PM
Power Poster

I have thought to make a quilt for small dining table, we can't keep reading material off. So I don't think it would be very pretty, all covered.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:17 PM

I have a quilt on a dining room table that we seldom use. It is a quilt appropriate for winter and I like the effect so much, I think I will make some season-appropriate quilts for future use.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:30 PM

I made a yo-yo quilt in a multiple flower garden type arrangement as a table quilt. It looks nice but glasses can topple.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:36 PM

Why not?! There's a blogger who recently stopped blogging. But, her blog was still there. She almost always has a quilt on her table as a table cloth. It looks fantastic.

Here's a link to Pinterest of her pictures. https://www.pinterest.com/source/mia....blogspot.com/

Actually, I couldn't link to her blog. She might be in the process of taking it down. But, there are pictures in the link I provided for pinterest if you want to look.
I followed Mias Landliv for a long time, I love her quilts and her style in general (and her beautiful garden!), it's very inspiring. I felt so sorry when she recently closed the blog... I hope we still can admire her work in Pinterest for a long time.

Not sure if I would use a quilt as a tablecloth, I like how it looks but I would be always suffering for the possible stains.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by sshell View Post
I want to make a quilt for my table. Table is round. Do I complete the piecing and quilting then cut into required round size before I bind? Table also becomes long oval when table leaf is added. Would a rectangle quilt work for that?
Mine is a round table too--I've found that many of the octogon/hexigon table toppers work well with it, and I also have a 9degree long ruler that when you use it you get a circle with center circle appliqued in--it's perfect. And when I put the extensions in, I use a rectangle quilt--my Mom made a really nice batik Chinese coins rectangle cloth for just this purpose--the table was her's before she died and I got both the table and the quilt.

also, many square quilts work very well on the round tables too
Old 02-13-2016, 08:02 AM

I made a square quilt for my round dining room table. I like it so much I plan to make more. I remove it and replace it with a table cloth when we eat at the table, which isn't frequently. I used flannel for batting. I think the next quilts will have more seasonal/holiday type backings so that I can flip them over and have more variety.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:24 AM

I really like to use a quilt on the table.And, though food gets spilled on it, I treat it with Resolve and it comes out. I do confess that I take it off if having some foods-like blueberries. But, when it wears out I will make another one. It is just another excuse to sew up a quilt.