Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Guards >

Quilt Guards

Quilt Guards

Old 09-28-2015, 10:22 AM

I was at a quilt show last year with a friend who brought her friend who was a quilter; there was a small square of paper on the edge of quilt so you could turn and look at the back of the quilt. It even said to "hold here to turn". The woman kept grabbing quilts and turning the back without using the paper even as the quilt guild kept announcing over the PA system to please "only handle the quilts using the paper", I was so embarrassed that she just didn't seem to understand even after I and my friend kept pointing out the paper to her. And yes there were people walking around the show with food in hand and children with dirty fingers who also were touching the quilts. I like to be able to see the quilt backs and the quilting as it gives me inspiration and ideas but I would never touch a quilt without gloves or some other protection, I kept wondering how would she feel if one of her quilts was on display and hundreds of people kept touching it and by the end of the show it was soiled. The rules are there for a reason - to protect someone's hard work.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Three Dog Night View Post
I like to be able to see the quilt backs and the quilting as it gives me inspiration and ideas but I would never touch a quilt without gloves or some other protection, I kept wondering how would she feel if one of her quilts was on display and hundreds of people kept touching it and by the end of the show it was soiled. The rules are there for a reason - to protect someone's hard work.
People can be very disrespectful and thoughtless. My husband and I show cars and I have had to ask people eating snow cones not to lean inside the car with the food. They just don't seem to realize how much time and money is involved in these activities.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:04 AM

You might think of these people as "Guards", between you and a quilt you would like to touch. But these people (because I have seen men doing this "Thankless" job too), are keeping people who do thoughtless things from doing them. I have seen people not thinking - "pulling in different directions on a quilt to see how well it was sewn" - "cut out a bit of fabric out of a quilt to see if they could match it". Some people only think in the moment and not about the fact that these quilts "belong" to someone. So if you must think of the "white gloves" as guards, remember these are the people you want to be around if you show a quilt.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:46 AM

It is always wise to post a very large sign saying, "No food or drink allowed in the quilt show area". Saves a lot of dirty looks and hurt feelings and most people try to comply.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
The blankets I have gotten are sealed in a plastic bag. ?
Airline blankets are not always sealed in bags. I carry my own. But that's a whole 'nother discussion.

Quilts on display deserve to leave in the same condition they arrived in...which should be pristine. So, white gloves forever!
Old 09-29-2015, 05:10 AM
Power Poster

Guess I am strange, I never feel the need to touch anyone's quilts.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes I like to see what the backing looks like - or how the binding is sewn down.

I think the reverse side of some quilts are more attractive than the displayed side.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

Just to be clear - I do appreciate the "white glove" ladies - or the plastic gloves - at quilt shows.

I should have called them "guardians" instead of "guards."
Old 09-29-2015, 09:44 AM

I've been to several shows lately, most were modern quilt guild shows, that don't hang quilts back to back. They hang them singly so you can see both sides without harm...or help. It's very effective and the backs were all beautifully planned and executed.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:26 PM

My guild had a quilt show at a fair recently and they put us in a nice air-conditioned building, we cleaned it before we hung the quilts for display and to our horror they put the child care section in a corner of the big open room. No supervision of the children and gave them a sand box and passed out treats then left them to their own devices. Shortly after the kids started playing hide and seek in among our quilts we went to the organizers and said we would shut down unless they moved the kids. They did but WHAT WERE THEY THINKING???