Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt idea >

quilt idea

quilt idea

Old 11-11-2016, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
A local church here has a Guild, it meets once a month and everyone does their own thing, except for one month every one works on quilts for the Linus Project. It starts at 9am and ends at 4pm, on a Saturday, we all bring our own lunch except for a salad or dessert to share. The ladies that are members of the church coordinate it all, the dues were $20.00 for the year, it buy items needed. I got involved because a member invited me. I loved going but life got in my way. If you can get a few people to start, it can grow over time. Put notices out like Onebyone did and if possible see if a local paper can give it a free space. When you meet a new person that sews, give them an invite flyer. My church used to have a similar group but it was on Thursday afternoons - it ended as the members got older and older. I worked full time so weekdays were not an option, which was the case for a lot of folks.
Wish I were near there it sounds great.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I put up notices everywhere, Walmart craft/fabric dept. library, grocery stores, Dr. offices, about a Quilting Group being started and anyone interested in learning how to quilt or to share their quilting skills were welcome. I was hoping for at least 5 people. At the first meeting 63 people showed up! The group has evolved and change but still going strong with an average of 25 members after eleven years. We have a yearly local quilt show to display our work. Loads of fun and no meetings, rules, or elected officers.
Sounds great, I have mostly ask people and they want a teacher which I am not. I am just a person trying to get going on my quilting and swing projects. Maybe one day. I do go to all brands sew & vac ( takes me hour and hour to get there. Then I have taken a class a few times.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
Small parishes are just as likely to do this. A church near me quilts every Thursday morning, but they are making charity quilts. Now they are making diapers from T-shirts . They cut them just under the armpits and use the bottom section, although I haven't seen a finished product. These are sent to places where mothers are unable to buy disposable diapers.
I make bibbs for nursing home and lap blankets for friends with cancer. It is nice to take them they seem to like them.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
We lived in a small town and I longed for quilting friends. 4 yrs ago we moved to larger town and I have more opportunities than I can do.
I never heard of that sounds nice for the people who can not buy them. I know my Mom & Dad spend well over $300. a month on pull ups, pads, guards, toilet paper, bed pads etc. It is costly.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
My sister turned to her sewing machine to make extra money and to save her sanity when she became 24/7 caregiver to her husband. This was in a town of about 350 people. She would sew or repair anything for anyone. And because she could not 'get out' for social contact, she opened her home to anyone who wanted to learn to sew or quilt. Over the years the group dynamics have changed considerably, with more young and newer residents mixing with the seniors and original members, but they still meet at her home once a week except for summer. They still make one communal quilt a year that is donated for raffle with the proceeds going to a local charity or Home. Last year they organized working bees and made over 200 dresses for little girls in Africa--donating their own fabric. This year they are making toques and hats for children in First Nation reserve schools in Northern Saskatchewan. These will be combined with purchased mitts and gloves as well as any donated coats.

I have always said that my sister should be Mayor of her small town because over the last decade+, she has done more to bring the people of her community together and to further harmony, than any other person I know.

OK off my soap box, but just wanted to say--you could do something similar, even if it is only one or two other people to start. If we all said "It's a good idea but I can't do it." nothing would ever be started or changed.
I have been making people things and giving them to friends, nursing home, church. To whoever I see maybe a great friend, sick, etc. After 5 years or so I am getting people when I am out or by phone, email etc. Even churches, nursing homes etc. They come up and say are you the one that makes this or that - I want, mom, my dad, grandkids or I want a blanket with grandchild names embroidery on it and give me what colors, etc, for it. It has become to much and cost is out of range now. Oh well I have enjoyed it, but I really find it cuts me off from people now. I hope this does not sounds bad.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by institches33 View Post
The interesting phrase in your first paragraph is, "does not have people you know". Strangers are strangers until they are friends.
Women are social creatures! Be bold! Put your great ideas out there and see what happens. Your group doesn't have to be just for sewing. It can be for any type of needlework, knitting, crochet, etc.
I wish you luck and think you will be pleasantly surprised!
This is true, the more I try the more it becomes my problem to do something. I am ready to return to quilting board people and just enjoy it and work on my projects and see everyone great projects. Good place for me! thanks!
Old 11-11-2016, 11:38 AM

For some of us, other responsibilities limit our free time.
I have a full-time job, with an hour-long commute, am active in my church, and have a small farm. It's hard for me to commit to something beyond all that, but I do have a longarm group that meets every other month. I love it, the ladies come from all over the state, and I always come away with new knowledge. Since it's only every other month, I don't feel as pressured as I would with a monthly guild.

The UFO group here on the Quilting Board is another "group" that I do not feel any pressure from, just a great bunch of "cheerleaders" that encourage me constantly, and there is no criticism if I don't post for a couple of days or even more.

Once I retire, I may participate in more of the area guilds - two of my area quilt shops have "sit and sews" one day a week, where you can come and bring ANY kind of handwork - knit, crochet, cross-stitch, or quilting - and just get with new people and get out of the house. And who knows, I may start something myself with my tiny church after retirement.

If you're really just hungering for some interaction with other people, reach out to your local elementary school and do a class on quilting. The subject covers SO many things - American History, home economics (or whatever they call it now), Arts and Crafts, recycling, math, and even community outreach (the class can make a few baby quilts and donate to a needy cause). The teacher will LOVE having someone else teach for awhile, the kids will love the "new teacher", and whoever you donate to will also love having a baby quilt for their little one. And teaching this to little kids (3rd grade is just about the perfect age) means that your audience will not be at all critical of your teaching skills.
Old 11-11-2016, 12:21 PM

I applaud your interest in starting a group. My community is a city of 80,000 people and they have a quilting group at the senior center. I have not joined but i know members who are very happy there. I donate material that I no longer
like or which I ordered but turns out to be quite different from the on-line photo/colors.
If your parish has a newsletter put an ad in there.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:37 AM

My group started out as an Adult school class in our local recreation guide. We kept signing up for back to back classes until our teacher retired. When she left, we split into two groups. One group moved to the Senior Center and the other moved to a new local quilt shop. Our groups are each about fourteen members and we have met for about twenty years each week.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:19 AM

I go to a tiny church with a handful of ladies who like to sew/quilt. After one woman requested that we form a group, they appointed me as the leader. Oh, dear! But God gave me leadership qualities I never knew I had, and I ask for lots of input from the ladies, so no huge decisions fall on me. Our church is very supportive, especially since we make quilts for a ministry that helps girls out of sex trafficking. They are even building us a room, since we are in cramped quarters at the moment. I might ask for an announcement to have all interested people have a meeting and just ask what they would like to do. Explain your vision, and see how many are on board. A leader may emerge from that meeting, so you may not have to organize everything yourself. I wish you well! Our group's work is so rewarding, and we have a lot of fun!