Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt kit missing significant amount of pieces >

Quilt kit missing significant amount of pieces

Quilt kit missing significant amount of pieces

Old 08-23-2015, 08:49 AM

Default Quilt kit missing significant amount of pieces

I can't call the maker-the kit is probably 30-40 years old.

32 background squares for queen size quilt that requires 30 large stars and IIRC 20 small ones that go on top of the four corners where the blocks meet.

Guess what?

Only enough fabric to make 22 large stars and 16 small ones.

I had a little hissy fit for a few minutes then got a pen and paper out.

I can cut 8 big stars and 4 little ones out of similar fabrics I have in my stash and put them on the left and right sides of the quilt.

I will never buy a kit. I've got 2 that were given to me. First one was a Dresden Plate. That one is done but it wouldn't lay flat until I used a different SA than the directions specified.

Now this one that doesn't even have enough fabric to complete a twin sized quilt.

Nope, never ever ever going to buy a kit.

They're too expensive anyway.

I'm just glad I was able to come up with a solution rather quickly.

Whew!
Old 08-23-2015, 09:05 AM

What an awful thing to happen to you! Quilters are a creative lot to get around these kinds of problems. I am so glad you posted this.... I've been having my own issues with things, too, and you've reminded me that I have a huge stash and can surely find what I need to fill out the holes that I never anticipated in kit shortages.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

That is wrong for someone to sell a kit short of fabric. Use some of you fabric mixed in and it will be OK. I too think that kits are too expensive.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:48 AM
Power Poster

Did you have the kit for the entire 30-40 years? If not, is it possible that someone raided it at some point to get fabric for another project? Did the pattern actually go with the kit, or had someone just placed it there? Or could the kit have been meant for a smaller version of the quilt? (Just trying to think of reasons why it could be so short on fabric.) I don't buy kits either, because I much prefer to pick my own fabrics from stash, but reports I've read on this board have indicated that today's kit makers are often very generous in providing enough fabric. There have been some complaints, however, when the kit doesn't include the pattern. At any rate, glad that you got things back on track, and your quilt will probably be all the better for having more variety in the fabrics.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:30 AM

It was sealed all this time.

The stars are assembled already. I'm not a out to rip everything out and start over.

Luckily, what I found in my stash is very similar and I will use that to fill in the sides. Maybe it won't be so noticeable on the overhang.

Right now I'm taking a break. I got a Brother 1634D serger for my birthday. I've been playing with that this morning. I can't wait to make a T-shirt or something with it. OMG it's awesome.

I have to chase down a noise in my Kenmore Trispan 88(I think it might be setscrew in small motor pulley)and I brought home three orphans that came with the house my brother bought.

Singer Golden Touch and Sew with everything(but foot controller is broken), a pink and white Kenmore 605 and a green Janome New Home 534.

The Singer and Kenmore are in cabinets. The Janome is portable.

The Janome looks like the most promising of the lot. My daughter wants the Kenmore and the Touch and Throw will have to wait.

I'm going to be busy!
Old 08-23-2015, 11:58 AM

I was going to say the same thing. I have a very nice stash. That being said, i have also bought a fair share of kits, and they have been good. The only thing I have really had to buy was fabric to replace one or two pieces that I really did not like, and that was not their fault, but mine.
Happy Quilting,
Susan
Old 08-23-2015, 01:16 PM
Power Poster

I wouldn't base my opinion of quilt kits from one that is over 30 years old or from a kit someone gave me that I had no idea where it came from.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:56 PM

Yeah, I suppose I should be more open minded.

But they're too expensive for me anyway.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:49 PM

Well here's a story that happened at my local quilt shop. The have a sale room in basement where there are kits, fabric, etc and all the sudden people started calling cause they were missing pieces to kits they bought. Well the store found out someone was stealing background fabrics out of kits. Needless to say the sale room is no longer in basement and the now have security cameras.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:30 PM

I have gotten great deals on quilt kits. One on Ebay had 21 yards of coordinated fabric for about $30. Several discontinued huge kits from a LQS for $50 that I later sold on ebay for $199. One from Homestead Hearth that had every piece of fabric for a Lori Smith quilt labeled and had over 150 different fabrics.

Quality can vary.