Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt kit missing significant amount of pieces >

Quilt kit missing significant amount of pieces

Quilt kit missing significant amount of pieces

Old 08-23-2015, 04:37 PM

I LOVE quilt kits! I have never had a problem. I got some beautiful batik kits for throw size from Craftsy. I have gotten several kits from Connecting Threads and theirs are priced at the cost of the fabric and they all always have plenty of fabric in them. Patterns are always included or downloadable. I'm not good at picking out fabrics for a quilt.

Last edited by Grandma Bonnie; 08-23-2015 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Typed 'kids' not 'kits' ;)
Old 08-23-2015, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Grandma Bonnie View Post
I LOVE quilt kits! I have never had a problem. I got some beautiful batik kits for throw size from Craftsy. I have gotten several kits from Connecting Threads and theirs are priced at the cost of the fabric and they all always have plenty of fabric in them. Patterns are always included or downloadable. I'm not good at picking out fabrics for a quilt.
Me too. I made a couple of batik quilts from Craftsy kits. Just enough but hardly any spare as I try to make the binding from extra strips. I am not so good at matching fabrics either. I have used to pattern that came w/them for other projects.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:08 PM

I buy quilt kits too because I have trouble picking out fabrics that look good together. Even a color wheel stumps me. If I have a picture I can usually do ok but a kit is better for me. I have only had one kit that was short and I called the shop and they made good on it.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:12 PM

I bought a kit at a well-known Houston quilt shop because I loved all the different stars on the quilt...but when I started working on it, I found that half of the star patterns were not there, replaced with a single, boring star pattern. I was so angry that I called the shop and they told me that it was from a shop hop and they weren't able to get all the patterns, so sorry. I still haven't finished that quilt...waste of time and money!
Old 08-24-2015, 03:48 AM

I have bought kits on sale just for the amount of fabric - reduced prices often mean fabric is a bargain.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:03 AM

I have bought several kits and very seldom have a problem. I enjoy buying kits when my DH and I travel as I don't like to spend a lot of time picking out fabric when he is waiting for me. He is very patient, but I don't want to push my luck. Many times we go into quilt shops and he will pick out a kit that he likes.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:22 AM

I just bought one from Craftsy because a) it was a Jenny Beyer and I really want to try one of her designs and b) the sale price brought the cost of the fabric to under $10 a yard, and up here, that is a bargain.

But I have been burned by a kit that had barely enough material and certainly less than the included pattern recommended. The kit was 2 years old and the selling company did not even acknowledge my emails. I have learned to open any kit I buy immediately to make sure that every little thing is there. If not--back it goes!!
Old 08-24-2015, 05:21 AM

I prefer to pick my own fabric, rather than a kit. That way I know no one will have one exactly like mine, plus I do love the designing and making of the top.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
I have gotten great deals on quilt kits. One on Ebay had 21 yards of coordinated fabric for about $30. Several discontinued huge kits from a LQS for $50 that I later sold on ebay for $199. One from Homestead Hearth that had every piece of fabric for a Lori Smith quilt labeled and had over 150 different fabrics.

Quality can vary.
I agree. If I get a good deal, I will even buy kits on sale, just because I love the fabric, not necessarily the pattern. Great way to beef up your stash. I frequent Connecting Threads sale kits all the time for that reason and have gotten marvelous deals with yardage at less than $3-4 per yard. Their kits always include extras for cutting mistakes or whatever, and have a actually gotten almost a second baby quilt out of scraps from the first.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:25 AM

I'm glad to say the one and only kit I purchased from Connecting Threads had more than enough fabric to complete the pattern. Of course I decided to change the pattern somewhat and make 2 smaller quilts for a set of twins. Either way though of the 36 fat quarters that came with the kit was more than enough. I even used some of the fat quarters on another quilt and still have left over fabrics. Of course I couldn't expect the background fabric to fit both quilts but I had some to add to it anyway so I was a very happy customer by far. Plus I got the kit on sale for 40% off so another plus for Connecting Threads.