Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt kit missing significant amount of pieces >

Quilt kit missing significant amount of pieces

Quilt kit missing significant amount of pieces

Old 08-24-2015, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
I have gotten great deals on quilt kits. One on Ebay had 21 yards of coordinated fabric for about $30. Several discontinued huge kits from a LQS for $50 that I later sold on ebay for $199. One from Homestead Hearth that had every piece of fabric for a Lori Smith quilt labeled and had over 150 different fabrics.

Quality can vary.
I agree - quality can vary. I am fortunate with the kits I have bought - all have had the fabric needed to do the pattern and several have had fabric left over. Connecting Threads is one of the places I love to buy kits from - always have more than enough fabric!
Old 08-25-2015, 05:06 AM

All the more reason why we should open when get and make sure all parts are there.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:16 AM

My one experience with a kit was great. I had extra fabric. Plus, it was greatly reduced in price AND included the pattern. Turned out great. End of season.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:03 AM

I'm sorry you had such a shortage in your kit.

I enjoy kits, I will buy them on sale when I find a good bargain. For me, it saves a TON of time and I can get right to it instead of buying the pattern, fabrics, and letting them sit LOL

Having said that, I like your post it's a good reminder to check my kits, and also how to be creative in the face of fabric adversity!
Old 08-25-2015, 01:15 PM

I usually don't purchase either kits or patterns. Mostly I play with ideas I've seen either online or in person and hope I have enough of my selected fabrics to make whatever I have in mind. If I run short there's usually something in my stash that will coordinate for a new design option. Glad you were able to do so. And do show us your completed quilt!
Old 08-26-2015, 05:18 AM

I do not buy kits, because I already have waaay more fabric than I can use in two lifetimes, lol. Also, I find that the color choices for kits rarely coincides with my personal color choices, so I will buy the pattern, but use fabric from my stash. I always make a sample block to see how difficult it will be to work with, and if there are no problems, then go ahead and make up the whole quilt.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:56 PM

I "inherited" a Thimbleberries kit (Pansy Park) recently and want to put it together. Apparently, the previous owner, snitched some of the fabrics from one or two of the blocks. Luckily, I was able to find a fabric at one of my LQS that coordinates well with the other fabrics. This is the first kit that I have ever done. If I hadn't inherited it, I probably would never have bought it as I, too, have way, way too much fabric in my stash.