Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Retreat >

Quilt Retreat

Quilt Retreat

Old 04-20-2014, 07:34 AM

Don't forget your machine power cord and foot control. I did! Remember to take clothes and any meds that you need. I was in the Jeep, but still in my driveway when I remembered clothes before my first retreat! Do you think I was a bit excited?
Old 04-20-2014, 07:51 AM

I have all my basics, including my machine feet, marked with a wild nail polish. I did this first in a different color for each machine to keep the parts seperate for each sewing machine. Now I have it on all my cutters, scissors, etc. Makes it easy to recognize mine.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:53 PM

If you are taking a class, there should be a supply list for you, other than that, I always try to take an extra iron in case it is needed, a ruler and cutter for sure. These are only extras, you should be aware already of the essentials, and believe me, you will forget something
Old 04-20-2014, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN View Post
If you are taking a class, there should be a supply list for you, other than that, I always try to take an extra iron in case it is needed, a ruler and cutter for sure. These are only extras, you should be aware already of the essentials, and believe me, you will forget something
I just hope I don't forget a whole lot!
Old 04-20-2014, 04:44 PM

I've not had the joy of a retreat yet... I'm sure you'll be prepared with all the advice given... but remember to have FUN!
Old 04-20-2014, 05:53 PM

Cushion, etc to make the chair comfortable for you--usually won't be a sewing chair provided. Also snacks and beverage. The retreat location I go to won't allow extra irons as with all of using machines and our Ott lights, we blow the circuit breakers with lots of extra irons. Don't forget patterns for projects you are thinking about-you'll probably go to some shops. I always find fabric I crave and don't have my patterns!
Old 04-20-2014, 06:33 PM

I agree with the sweater, some going through the hot flashes crank up the AC...
Meds - had to drive back an hour to get them for one retreat... Make a list from here and check them off as you pack. Have FUN...

Originally Posted by CorgiNole View Post
Don't forget your clothes and toiletries. I used to go to a lot of scrapbook retreats, and more than once a friend showed up without a change of clothes. You may also want to bring a sweater or fleece that you can layer in case the room is cold.

Cheers, K
Old 04-20-2014, 09:00 PM

I'd say bring all your basic quilting supplies. Your Ott light and I'd also bring some handwork just in case your tire of sitting in front of a machine. At some retreats there are supplies to use but that's not very handy if you keep having to share. I also recommend you precut most of your fabrics. Divide your projects in handy large ziplock bags.Now you have fun ya here!
Old 04-21-2014, 03:30 AM

Before each retreat, I try to pre-cut as much as possible, everything I will be working on. Cutting and socializing doesn't work out very well for me!!
Old 04-21-2014, 05:03 AM

So far you have received great tips.

Do not know if you have gone ... but here is what I am taking to mine tomorrow. The usual list - sewing machine, lamp, Extension chords (2 - one that is three prong / grounded and one that is not - I have been in situations where there is not an outlet that is grounded), small ironing surface and small iron. I also bring a medium size cutting surface, rotary cutter, replacement blades, a long narrow ruler, a 6x12 ruler, I do not usually purchase specialty rulers but if you have one and use it for your project - then do not forget it, replacement needles, pincushion, pins and thread catcher, marking pencils or chalk, a few snacks, several plastic bins that hold single projects - more than I plan on working on as I too have messed up a project or not had what I needed to complete a project - I want to keep busy, and a small folding hand dolly with a couple of bunge cords.

I too mark everything with my name. I use those "free return labels" we all get at the holiday seasons on rulers mats and big stuff. Works great for me. I also mark all my scissors with a cell phone charm loop on which I have added a charm/ bead. Scissors and cutters all look alike and when someone "borrows" mine I can always identify it.

One last I always bring is a tall plastic container(I use a Crystal Light Package with the little snap on lid) - large enough to hold my scissors, rotary cutter and seam ripper point down at my station.

One last note - get in the habit of using something then putting it away when you have finished with it. Things walk easily at a retreat because everyone's scissors, cutters, rippers and rulers look the same sitting side by side.