Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Retreat >

Quilt Retreat

Quilt Retreat

Old 04-21-2014, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by SingerSewer View Post
In a few weeks I will be going on a quilt retreat. It is about 250 miles away so I can't run home to get things I left. I just don't want to take a whole bunch of stuff I don't need. I will be taking a couple of projects and will take a one day class as well.

What do you consider the essentials?

Thank you
I go to our guild retreat every quarter, in fact our spring camp is this week for three days.
I have a cooler on wheels that holds my "stuff". I have my thread, rotary cutter, rulers, cutting board, ripper, pins, starch, scissors etc. in a plastic tote in there as well as my iron. I also have my slippers and a hoody in there. Then I have my featherweight in it's box.
Love to go to camp Have fun
Old 04-21-2014, 05:17 AM

I use my mail address labels to label my patterns, rulers and even my power srtips. I always bring Kleenex and cough drops too. Sometimes the air is dryer than you are used to. Always bring all your machine accessories.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:38 AM

Everyone has made wonderful suggestions, but no one has mentioned taking any needed MEDS. I now take enough MEDS to last twice as long as I will be visiting anywhere. I put enough for the trip in my overnight bag, and an extra supply with my sewing items. The first time you get stranded by an 'act of God or man', you will be very glad you did so. I also notify my Dr's office that I will be traveling, in case of problems. I also tell my favorite busybody type neighbor (I just love her) so in case of emergency with DH while I am gone, I can be found if I am needed. Doing this allows me to relax and enjoy the trip. I hope your retreat is restful, fun filled, and productive.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:11 PM

So far the ideas and suggestions are amazing. Thank you so much...now I want to add another question.

What type of clothes do you wear at a retreat? I have been to one and one day we were pajamas or something else comfortable that you wouldn't want the whole world to see you wearing!
Old 04-22-2014, 03:47 AM

Definitely buy a new pair of pjs. Just in case. My last retreat we didn't do that pj thing so I have a pair in reserve for the next one. I'm a jeans and t shirt kind of gal so my retreat clothes are very casual. T shirts and stretchy pants. I wanted loose and comfortable, no waistbands. Afterall, you will be sitting for a majority of the time. Take a zip up jacket, it can be either hot or cold. As for shoes, I had my crocs with socks because I like to sew barefoot so I sewed socked. How's that for a fashion statement?
Old 04-22-2014, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Many people remember to take the sewing machine but forget necessary parts like the foot control, the power cable, the extra feet, extra needles - so be sure you take all of those. Also I think it is helpful to take along the manual to your sewing machine, just in case you have a problem and need to look something up.

It's also helpful to have some kind of box, like maybe a plastic shoebox, that you can put your supplies in while you're sewing so that they're readily accessible but not floating around on the table, which may be shared by many people. Mark your supplies in some way so that you can tell which ones are yours and not grab someone else's by mistake.
Dunster is right on. Make a list of what your sewing machine needs and check it off as you as you pack it. Also, instead of a shoe box (although that is great, I had a small plastic box with a handle from JoAnn's to carry all the
loose items.) And whoever suggested the cushion is also right on. I learned that after my first retreat!
I'm sure you will have a great time.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:00 AM

Have a blast, I'm leaving tomorrow for a getaway. I never know what I want to work on so I load up a suitcase with all my sewing stuff. I have found its the easiest way, just wheel it to where you are going. I take a small suitcase for my clothes and a larger suitcase for all my projects. Don't forget your seat cushion, very important to rise you to the correct height. I forgot on one of my getaways and after the weekend I walked around with a crocked back for a week. Here's the sewing part of my getaway list:
Sewing Machine/Cord/Extension Cord
Sewing Machine Extension Table
Seat Cushion
3rd Arm, Extra Needles
Cutting Board/Olfa
Rulers/Threads/Pins/Seam Ripper
Projects
Book to Read
Hand Work
Thread Catcher
Fabric/Black Fabric
Triangle Paper
Old 04-22-2014, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by kyquiltlover1942 View Post
I have all my basics, including my machine feet, marked with a wild nail polish. I did this first in a different color for each machine to keep the parts seperate for each sewing machine. Now I have it on all my cutters, scissors, etc. Makes it easy to recognize mine.
such a good idea!
Old 04-22-2014, 01:17 PM

Is there a thread on this site (I looked) that maybe shows were Quilt retreats are held in certain parts of the USA?
Thanks
Old 04-22-2014, 02:31 PM

I go to about 4 retreats a year. I always make a list of projects and everything I need to finish that project. then I mark them off as I pack them. I always bring a kindle or a CD player and earphones incase I want to just tune everyone out for awhile because it can get noisy. Make sure you have a notebook along so you can mark down what you wish you would have brought for next time. Once you have been to one make a list and check things off as you pack them. Remember specialty rulers, thread, patterns, and all machine supplies. (feet, cord, etc.) Have fun and relax usually if you forget something someone can help you out.. I always bring my own chair but that is just me.