Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilt for a wedding gift. What colors should I choose???

Hello all,
    I am planning on making a quilt for a couple that are very dear friends of mine. I want the quilt to be a big surprise, so I don't want to ask them what colors they like.
    I haven't seen the couple's new house, so I can't make my color choices based on their home.
    How do you wonderful quilters out there handle this situation?
    BTW, I'm thinking of doing mostly black and white as I feel that is pretty versatile.

Blog Entries
    Can you ask a common friend, or relative to find out color choices?? Or ask a real normal question...how are you doing your new home? Very innocent just in passing kind of question:)

Personally I wouldn't do black/white unless I know for sure they like that. I like the combination, but it wouldn't work in my bedroom or any room in my house for that matter. I would definitely try and get some color ideas. You can start up a conversation about the house and it's progress. Casually ask about color schemes - mention kitchen, bathroom, living room also so that you're not focusing on just the bedroom.I'm sure they will love anything you make, but if you want them to be able to incorporate it into the decor, I think you need to get some info. But, that's just my opinion!

I agree, you could try to go for neutrals, but maybe they like brights! Try to find out a color scheme first before you put all that work into a quilt...

Are they registered somewhere? you could check out their list and im sure find out colors from that. Good luck. Also are you making a wall quilt or bed quilt? might want to be sure you know what room it would be in.

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    Check their wedding registry to see if you can get any ideas there. Also one of their family members might be able to help

If they are traditional, they might light calicos in all colors. A dresden plate with calicos or a something with floral fabric with all colors of flowers for spring or fall, whichever there weddings are in.

last summer i made a log cabin quilt in white onbeiges and white on whites,,,,,,,, the newlyweds LOVED IT and the colors go with anything

Oh, I like that idea, too. White on white, what could be wrong with that?

Black and white is actually quite difficult to fit into a lot of people's decor. White on white works, but I would do a little innocent questioning of the couple or a close family/friend. Also, nothing too girly/masculine....tough assignment you have set yourself! Good luck and don't forget we love updates/pics.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast