Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilter has my quilt, not working on it! >

Quilter has my quilt, not working on it!

Quilter has my quilt, not working on it!

Old 11-08-2014, 10:09 AM

I am sorry this has happened to you. It's a very upsetting and frustrating situation, for sure. I hope you get it resolved soon.

Please post what happens.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Well, this is just terrible. I think the time for being totally polite is over. Call, email, or drop by in person and ask when you can expect the quilt. That information should be available, and with Christmas coming up, this lady might just put your mother's quilt farther down the list, since your mother has already been patient and polite.

Dina

your right...this is probably a case of the squeaky wheel gets the grease!
Old 11-08-2014, 10:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Girlfriend View Post
I am sorry this has happened to you. It's a very upsetting and frustrating situation, for sure. I hope you get it resolved soon.

Please post what happens.
thanks, I feel bad for my mother, bc she wanted to surprise db with
it bc he bought her a new computer.
Then she decided to give it to him for his 60th birthday and couldn't
say anything to spoil the surprise.
Well, the surprise has been spoiled and she still hasn't been able
to let him know just how much his thoughtfulness has been
appreciated.
I don't live nearby or I would go in that store myself.
I'd get that quilt and take out the stitches, but I would also
let it be known that nice or not, this was their mistake and
not good business practices. It hurts people
Old 11-08-2014, 12:37 PM

When I enter into a long term relationship with any business or vendor, I always try to remember to tell them this:

I can deal with just about any issue that comes up, provided you tell me what is going on. If you make a mistake, miss a deadline, whatever, TELL ME. Otherwise, I will feel like you are hiding something from me or ignoring me, both of which are worse than me knowing about the problem.

I hope your quilt comes back to you safe and sound.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:38 PM

I had a "reputable" quilt shop in my area keep my quilt for five months without quilting it. I did received several telephone calls from the owner giving excuses like I've been very busy, I have to go pick up my grand daughter to keep for a while, etc. The truth of the matter was that the shop became a long arm dealer and her time and focus was spent on the money-making aspect of the shop. Needless to say, I was disappointed that the individual did not honor the agreement we had for her to quilt the top in a reasonable time frame. I finally went and picked it up and took the quilt to another quilter. I would recommend that you sign a contract that shows what is expected from both parties.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:55 PM
Power Poster

When the quilt is finished and you have it in your hands let her know you will not be using her service again and you will not recommend her if asked. Walk away and don't look back. She is self absorbed and will play the victim as long as it gets her off the hook. I have been around too many people like that to have any sympathy or understanding for lack of decency on their part. That wide eye look of poor me doesn't have any effect on me at all.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:10 PM

I have a very similar situation going on right now! I finished 6 tops, sold them all right away. However, I had moved and can not set up my frame here so I wrote the woman who used to long arm for me & she said she could have them all finished in a month or so & that is what I told the people who bought the quilts. I had 6 angry customers! They never left her house until the 3, 4 & 5 month mark and she is still holding one hostage!! After many unanswered emails, a friend who bought one wrote her & said yes, it was done, she is shipping the day after labor day. The woman who will be receiving the quilt wrote her last week & got a reply saying that all she had to do was finish the binding! Yeah, thought it was finished?? I have even tried calling her house, no answer! I totally understand the life happens thing, but this is just out of control now Maybe I should call her at 4 am when I wake up :O BTW, her name is Tammy & she lives in Va...buyer beware!!!
Old 11-08-2014, 02:26 PM

Maybe you can just ask her to return the quilt to you and find someone else to quilt it. That might be enough to get her attention and let her know that you are done waiting without actually arguing with her. We had to do that with a an antique dresser that we sent for restoration by a well-known local person. We waited patiently for a long time and finally my husband went to his shop and said we just wanted it back, not in a confrontational way, we aren't like that. He said oh, he was just about to work on it and it was finished shortly after that. Sorry this happened to you, it is very frustrating. Good luck!
Old 11-08-2014, 05:29 PM

I think I would let it reflect how much I paid her. Since she didn't keep her word, it seems to me that she shouldn't get the price she is asking. Your mother's time is worth money and she should deduct it from the price. I think if it was me, I would get the quilt back ( and not pay her anything) and find someone else to quilt it. Hopefully it isn't damaged.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:06 PM

I run a long arm quilting business and turn all of my quilts around in less than 7 days. If your quilt was on the frame, and then got caught and they have to unpick, wow, that is not great. (It does happen, but IT IS BAD when it does). If that was me, and I had missed the deadline to boot, I simply wouldn't charge the customer. And I would be apologising for the delay. Before paying any money, ask them to show you where it got caught, and then inspect your quilt carefully. There are times when, during the unpicking, fabric can get snipped actidentally. If you find any cuts at all, don't pay a single cent for the quilting. Best of luck. X